Pretty princess de Cagliostro

Anime dress

I am just not feeling this dress, worn by blushing bride Princess Sayako, 37, the youngest child of Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko. According to some sources, the dress was created by a designer that regularly works for the Japanese empress. S/he created the gown to mirror the dress worn by someone named Lady Clarisse de Cagliostro at the end of an anime film called Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro.

That’s weird enough, but in the photo it looks like she is getting married in a subway station. Kerazy!

19 Responses to “Pretty princess de Cagliostro”

1. kim says:

How demure. They are recycling strips of wetsuit material in case she falls in the moat after the ceremony on her way to the reception?

2. enygma says:

I’m not that wild about her hair, either. However, I have to respect a woman who’ll give up her royal status in order to marry a “commoner.”

3. Never teh Bride says:

I wonder if she is truly the first woman to get married in a neoprene gown. Maybe she’s going surfing afterward.

4. kim says:

Neoprene. Yes, thank you. I have a tiny touch of aphasia.

5. La BellaDonna says:

Actually, while I suppose that effect might be obtainable by neoprene, the material looks a lot more like a silk and wool blend to me. I have a bolt of it in pink. And a chunk of it in a coordinated pink-and-white stripe. And a chunk of it in black, which tailored up into a beautiful, if evil-to-make, man’s frock coat. I missed picking up a bolt of it in the white, which looked exactly like the material the erstwhile princess is wearing. It tailors beautifully, but doesn’t drape too gracefully; the folds tend to be somewhat architectural – it doesn’t look as if the seams in the wedding gown have been pounded, which is a minimal requirement with that fabric. Another clue is the fact that the fabric is slightly off-white; neither silk nor wool bleaches paper-white very easily. The e-princess’ shoes and gloves match each other, but they are a different colour from the gown itself.

6. Gigolo Kitty says:

It does look a bit like she were about to enter a nunnery. That said, kudos to her for stepping out of the royal cocoon. Given how the media treat her poor sister-in-law, I’d say she is one smart woman.

Perhaps the royal code decrees that all body parts neck down must be covered.

7. gidget bananas says:

Would La BellaDonna explain to the Gidget what it means to “pound” the seams?

That dress looks like something real royalty would wear, i.e., very very dignified and very, very . . . zzzzzzzzz . . . ahem; boring.

8. Never teh Bride says:

I wonder if she can raise her arms above her head…

9. La BellaDonna says:

Never teh Bride, I expect she can lift her arms above her head; the armscye is cut very high under the arm, which actually allows for greater freedom of movement than a lower armhole would, and the fabric, although not drapey, has a certain amount of give. It also looks as if there’s a decent sleeve head in the sleeve, which will also help the mobility issue. My preference when working with that type of fabric and a straight sleeve is to cut the sleeve on the bias, which increases the arm mobility (and comfort) exponentially.

Gidget, “pounding the seams” is a part of the construction process. When the seams are being pressed after stitching (pressing is NOT ironing, and it is a vital part of the construction process), after they have been pressed on each side and then open, while still damp and moist from the press cloth (or the steam iron), they are smacked sharply against the pressing surface with an item called a “clapper,” which is basically a block of wood with side grips. It’s the same process done with hammer-and-nail, only here it’s clapper-and-fabric. It’s done to cause the seams to lie open and flat as the garment is constructed, and is one of the ways to get a resilient and obstreperous fabric to behave. It can be augmented by topstitching, if the design permits, or by some well-chosen trim stitched over the recalcitrant seam (which also acts as topstitching). If the seams in a garment aren’t pressed properly, it results in a garment that looks, um, a lot as if it had been made out of neoprene.

Honestly, I want to beat that thing into submission with a Rowenta.

And Gidget, you are absolutely right; big yaaaawwwnnn. It looks a lot like the kind of tedium that gets foisted off on “mature” brides in the name of “dignity.” Feh!

10. Lori says:

One web site said that the traditional wedding clothes for Japanese princesses was the kimono, and that the ceremony was attended by 31 people. Maybe when you’re a princess, you don’t need to be a princess for a day.

11. Megaera says:

Yeah, but Lupin???? That is like the anime of bad 70’s fashion. Skinny ties, leisure suits…*not* what I’d model a rag on, much less a wedding dress.

12. gidget bananas says:

Thank you, La BellaDonna. That dress, in fact, looks like it needs to be pressed.

13. Diana says:

I’m a big fan of tasteful wedding gowns, but gee, that isn’t as much a gown as it is a slip cover.

14. Kourtney says:

Meh, if she is happy with it, then all the power in the world (or, non of the power in Japan) to her. I must agree with LaBellaDonna’s structural comments – although, having never seen Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro, perhaps the blocky nature of the fabric was meant to be.

15. Tania says:

Oh, too bad. Wedding kimonos are so pretty!

My first thought was, indeed, “neoprene.”

The seams, yes, they make me angry. Press! Press!

I love her little fan, though. With the look on her face and the arrangement of her hands, she looks as though she is daydreaming of giving her commoner groom a good spanking later.

16. Sibyl says:

That looks like the dresses we had to wear for high school formal choir, except ours were kelly green. 100% polyester fantastic.

Although I must disagree with enygma on this : “However, I have to respect a woman who’ll give up her royal status in order to marry a ‘commoner.'” Edward VIII did the same thing and I don’t think anyone should have to respect *him,* the twit.

17. Wolfcat says:

I have to agree with you on the seams, and La Belladonna is correct about the fabric too, but disagree with you on the dress itself.

Remember, you are looking at someone who has had very specific formal “thou shalts” on her from day one. They are much more reserved and formal over there, with the higher ranking you are, the more obvious/expected it should be. I think a brocaded fabric, more flowing silk, or slightly embellished gown would have been a bit more flattering, but even without knowing WHO was wearing it, I could guess where the bride was from, and that was definitely not the U.S.!

But then again, I lived overseas for a few too many years growing up.

Wolfcat, who while running through all the old posts, is thinking she has seen a couple of these folks on re-enactment lists!

18. Sasha says:

This dress is Just-Plain-Awful!

It is unflattering to the bride in the bust, the arms, the hips, the waist and even the legs– which are hidden no less! An image of an octopus pops to mind with all those panels. I am agreeing completely with the “slip-cover” comment made earlier. That is the only logical muse for this monstrosity.

19. Sasha says:

SHE DESPERATELY NEEDS:

Dress:
    A medium weight, eggshell white silk brocade (brocade in Asian floral motif with subtle 24k gold thread shot highlights) Empire waist gown with tulle overlay. Tulle overlay touches floor in front with sweep length train in back.
    3/4 length delicate lace sleeves, a sweetheart neckline and a padded bra.

Hair/ Veil:
    Hair needs to be a French twist spiral up-do (hair extensions please!) accented with Mikimoto pearl & diamond comb accenting a simple cathedral length tulle veil.

Accessories:
    Mikimoto diamond and pearl choker necklace. Loose the gloves! Love the fan!

Shoes:
    Seed pearl and iridescent Swarovski bead accents embroidered on silk satin kitten heel mules.

And someone get this girl a makeup artist! Preferably one who can open up her eyes, balance out her face and thereby and de-schnauzer her. She is a lovely girl– we want to actually be able to see her beauty, especially on such an important day!

Every woman deserves to look gorgeous on her wedding day!