Wait, I’m not rich!

So, after rushing to finish up a number of things on Tuesday, I traveled from Boston to Manhattan to be on Wednesday’s “Are Blogs the New Black” panel at the launch of Open Source Media.

On one hand, it was exciting! I was fortunate enough to be participating alongside the lovely Kim of i am pretty nyc and Kristen of beauty addict. We also heard the pseudo voice of The Manolo in pseudo real time – there was a delay of roughly 18 seconds that resulted in much good-natured hilarity.

On the other hand, the fourth panelist in our little group discussion (which was led by trend analyst Tom Julian) led the discussion down a rather weird path. Author and writer Elizabeth Hayt expressed her opinion that, “blogging is absurd. It’s a hobby for rich people with too much time on their hands” just before moving on to ask why blogging is so mean spirited. Her beef was that so many fashion oriented blogs do nothing but insult people’s clothing and makeup.

Unfortunately, the panel was cut short and thus ended just as I wanted to ask Hayt whether she thought there were any similarities between our publically expressing our mean-spirited opinions regarding what people wear and her publically expressing her mean-spirited opinions regarding what people do. Oh well.

I was also a little disappointed that we three bloggers didn’t talk more about the relationship we have with our readers. For me, that’s what makes blogging fun and oftentimes more interesting than plain old journalism.

But, I had a great time nonetheless and was pleased to discover today that Henway Twingo of Sense of Soot compared my relationship to The Manolo to that of the Angels to Charlie. Fantastic!

11 Responses to “Wait, I’m not rich!”

1. Lori says:

The review of her book reminds me of the phrase “licking the earth.”

2. gidget bananas says:

The fact that Ms. Hayt calls bloggers rich just shows she hasn’t a clue about who uses the internet for self-expression.

3. Fausta says:

If Hayt had done less carping the panel would have beena able to further develop the question of the politics of clothing, for instance. But she was there to flog her book.

4. enygma says:

Ha! I wish I was rich with nothing else to do.

5. HenwayTwingo says:

Thanks for the shout out. I, too, would’ve liked more discussion of the reader relationship. It’s hard when you get derailed by dissing from the dais, and I wish the message had gotten out about the passion for these topics that’s in the blogosphere and how faithful (ok, obsessive) people become about checking in.

6. Never teh Bride says:

Thank ya, darlin’. While blogs may not be the NYT, I’m pretty sure that a vast majority of folks regularly updating their blogs are more concerned with expressing their opinions and passions, and sharing with others. Not becoming UBER PUBLISHED WRITER. Gah.

7. La BellaDonna says:

NTB, blogs are NOT the the NY Times. I check you faithfully every day, along with Maestro Manolo, and a select few others. I would select more, in fact, but I have to earn a living to fund my passion and feed my cat. The NY Times has very little that stirs my interest, and nothing that prompts my faithful perusal.

BTW, Lori, what is “licking the earth”? It’s a fabulous and evocative phrase, but it’s giving rise to some non-family-board images…

8. Lori says:

“Licking the earth,” or “lick the dust,” as it is phrased in the Old Testament, refers to the love of earthly pleasures. (See the link to Ms. Hayt’s book in the first post.) One such verse (Psalm 72:9) was written by Solomon, who, as you may recall, gave a decadent mode of living a test run.

9. Gigolo Kitty says:

*Looks at 0.2 cents in the bank* Oh yeah, I am rrrrollling in the filthy lucre.

10. hiya NtB,

I think it is safe to say that while Elizabeth Hayt was once married, she will Never again be Teh Bride. Venomous woman!

I wish we could have gotten further into the discussion, too. At least for me, there’s such a great community of beauty bloggers and readers, and we all contribute to each other.

xoxo
    kristen

11. Lori says:

Kristen, do you say that Elizabeth Hayt will Never again be Teh Bride because she is venomous, and the bloom is off the rose? I’m afraid I’ve known women who made Ms. Hayt look like Audrey Hepburn (in looks, charm and reputation) who have Again and Again been teh Bride. I’ve also known lovely women who have Never Been teh Bride, and probably never will be. The race is not always to the swift.