Said the bride: No scissors allowed!

Showgirl chic

One of the Internet friends of the Manolo pointed out this picture of a gown that I can only surmise falls under the catagory of showgirl chic. I don’t know who these people are and what would inspire a woman to get married in a get-up that could come apart with one determined tug.

Reader Snopes Fiend found the explanation on Snopes:

the photographs displayed above are genuine and depict an actual Russian wedding. The bride is said to be a professional belly dancer (hence the unusual attire) named Anna Atamanchuk from St. Petersburg.

But, since I always like a truly wacky story to go with my picture, I will, as an aside, a story from the career of New England’s self-proclaimed most popular justice of the peace/clergyman, the Honorable Reverend Dennis James Robinson:

The groom came to the wedding with a 45-motorcycle escort and the bride, who was an exotic dancer, came with a 200-motorcycle escort. She, however, sat in a sidecar with her rather racy wedding dress on. Her veil was sticking up straight in the air pulling up to the chapel. When I asked her if she took this man to be her husband, she immediately pulled on this zip away or pull away dress like she was going to do her act, and she said: “Yes I do baby”. No one was taken aback considering their reputations, but I told her to put the dress back on so I could finish the ceremony. She had planned on it anyway, but wanted a little bit of shock value. All I could do was put my hand over my heart like Fred Sanford used to do having one of his patented heart attacks.

12 Responses to “Said the bride: No scissors allowed!”

1. enygma says:

ugh. How trashy.

2. Never teh Bride says:

Truly. Pearly clamshells and strings.

3. Fausta says:

At the reception, the bride donned some cymbals and belly-danced for her guests.

4. Lori says:

And when she saw Sinbad the Sailor, the man she threw over for Motorcycle Melvin, her heart sank, even as her beads continued to jiggle.

5. Snopes fiend says:

The bride was a belly dancer. THis wedding was featured on Snopes.com: http://snopes.com/photos/weddings/beaded.asp

6. Kourtney says:

My curiosity burns to know… what is the back of that dress like??? And did her finger cymbals clash with the ring?

7. Never teh Bride says:

Thanks, Snopes fiend!

8. enygma says:

hmm…even if she IS a belly dancer, couldn’t she find a better dress? It’s not as if she’s expected to provide the entertainment at the reception. Or is she?

9. La BellaDonna says:

Well, it’s a bit Turkish for my taste for a wedding dress, but I don’t find the style inappropriate, given that the bride is a professional belly dancer. Among the dancers I know, it is a way of life as much as a way of earning a living – more so; most dancers don’t make that much money, and they spend a fortune on classes, seminars, costumes, etc. It is perfectly possible that the bride did indeed dance at the reception – she would have considered it a gift to the people attending.

I don’t have any problem with people whose life passions are expressed during their weddings, even if it’s not something I would choose (which, unless I shared the passion, is usually the case). IMO, it’s not more inappropriate than having a reception with white whales in the background (especially if you’re from a culture which regards them as extra-large sushi), or a nudist wedding. And Enygma – if she didn’t make that dress herself, she probably had it made to specification, and it will certainly have cost every bit as much as a more standard wedding dress.

10. Sandra says:

‘Tis terrible, that frock. But doesn’t she look so genuinely happy? Warms the cockles of my cynical, hard old heart.

11. Ash says:

Although what makes me giggle about the picture is the expression on the groom’s face and how he’s gingerly holding on to her elbow trying to figure out how to hang onto her.

12. Lori says:

At least the bride has the figure to carry off this dress. I just hope the couple’s parents have a sense of humor.