International Women’s Day

For the ladies in your life

For those who don’t know, March 8 is International Women’s Day. Sure, it’s just another one of those manufactured commemorative days. Someone’s probably wearing a ribbon for it somewhere or slapping a magnetic sticker on their car. And today will no doubt pass largely unnoticed by most folks. But I’d like to encourage everyone to at least give it a passing thought or check out the web site.

As I see it, until every woman everywhere has the freedom to marry who she wants or not to marry at all, until no woman is forced to bear a child against her will or to be forcefully married to someone who bought or raped her, until things like honor killings, sexual assault, and harassment are a thing of the past, and until what’s in your pants or under your shirt becomes less important than what is in your head and in your heart, we could all use a nice gentle reminder that these issues are still out there.

If nothing else, give the ladies in your life some props today. Call your grandma. Hug your mom. Tell your daughter that she can be anything she wants to be. They’ll thank you for it.

8 Responses to “International Women’s Day”

I can’t think of anything to add except amen, and thanks NtB.

2. gidget bananas says:

Hear, hear!

3. Lori says:

The group that has, to my mind, done more than anyone else of late to eliminate some of the terrible practices against women is the U.S. Marine Corps for breaking the stranglehold of the Taliban. If I knew a marine, I’d thank him.

4. Sorry but it has to be said I feel- is that the absolute CHEESIEST picture possible for the subject matter? (and yay women-it the 9th here now so I missed it!)

5. Never teh Bride says:

I tried to find a better picture. Honest, I did!

6. Well at least you tried then. Thats ok, I’ll forgive you.

7. La BellaDonna says:

Bless you, Lori. I know a couple, and I’ll be happy to pass it on for you.

8. L says:

It’s not a Hallmark holiday, actually. IWD is about a hundred years old, and was originally a political event to honour the women who died in the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire.