Slick, not thick

Pretty in patterns

I’m a sucker for dresses that make me think that, if I tried them on, I might look just a little bit like Marilyn Monroe. This, of course, is what’s known as deluding oneself. The truth is, if I wore this dress I’d probably end up looking like an overstuffed Munich weißwürst. Nonetheless, I still love this gown from Eden Bridals’ Classics collection.

Sure, it could use some straps, but this asymmetric tiered mermaid gown in satin and tulle boasts a beautiful pattern of beading, pearls, and lace. I’m also a sucker for patterns that flatter rather than make one look fatter. I think these details are subdued enough so as to not make your average sized bride look like a Fabergé egg.

This gown is available in white with white & silver embellishments or ivory with ivory & gold embellishments.

12 Responses to “Slick, not thick”

1. jenny says:

Very lovely & elegant: I love the ecru/champagne colored lace & stuff. I was thinking that the trim that wraps around diagonally would probably serve to camouflage any “danger zones” that a plain-satin piece might tend to accentuate.

2. Never teh Bride says:

…and I love anything that will cover my danger zones, jenny 🙂

3. Ooh I love the sound of White with Silver!!! I do think this is gorgeous, slightly reminiscent of the gown Nicole Kidman wore to the oscars, but Nicole’s had no train. I however recognise that I would never put it anywhere near my body for fear of ruining the effect with my very self.

4. Laura says:

I’d worry about wearing it without a mother-boob-ton of double-sided tape. The model looks like if she leans any further, she’s going to just going to pop right out! And the wedding nip-slip is the worst.

5. SJ says:

I’ve noticed that in almost all of the ads for gowns in bridal mags, the “Brides” are all hunched over with their shoulders squeezed in or horribly contorted similar in the image above. My theory: probably to accentuate the collar bones. Any other theories?

In the Rivini ads this is probably the most prominent…I don’t plan on standing like that at any point in August…

6. Never teh Bride says:

I was just thinking about that, SJ. Perhaps the super skinny models need to pose so to keep from sliding out of the dresses? Though it’s probably a collar bone thing, as you say. Because, goodness knows, nothing is more beautiful than an emaciated bride!

Not.

It’s a gorgeous gown for a woman with the figure and cajones to wear it. I’ve never trusted strapless, myself. Still, there’s no denying that snazzy of that number.

The collarbone thing definitely bugs me, but not as much as the way so many models in bridal wear layouts look like they’re shooting lazers from their angry eyes. Why do photographers and magazines and designers insist on having brides look like they’re about to eat the congregation for lunch? Emaciated ain’t pretty, but ‘fierce’ brides give me the willies.

8. la petite chou chou says:

She looks to me as if she just spilled something on the dress and is deciding whether or not she can get it out? What is with the pose? Who stares at their own hip?

9. Never teh Bride says:

Maybe she is doing a sniff test to gauge armpit freshness?

10. la petite chou chou says:

OOHHH. Never teh Bride…I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. Now when I look at the picture, I couldn’t ever think it was anything else!

11. jenny says:

Dang it NtB, you stole my line! (Okay, I was several hours slow. Don’t you hate it when that happens?!…)

12. Phyllis says:

Well – I have to say from my seamtress perspective – these style is really hard to wear for most women. Plus – mermaid gowns make me think of drag queens. This one is prettier than most though.