Releasing the wedding planner within

Too many choices

It’d be great if most future brides and grooms could afford a professional wedding planner. Or, maybe, if there was some sort of archaic etiquette thing that made it so the parents of the couple were responsible for planning both the ceremony and reception – with the wishes of the bride and groom in mind at all times, of course.

But, alas, it is most often the future bride herself who must take on the multifaceted duties of a wedding planner and hope for the best. Luckily, she is not without tools. Just this weekend, I came across Brides Club’s free, printable wedding planner. Just pop all of the pages into a three ring binder and go! It contains charts, tables, and worksheets, as well as tips and tricks that can keep a future bride from collapsing under the strain of organizing what will probably be the biggest party she’s ever hosted.

Wedding Planner

Summitsoft’s WeddingPlanner can help a bride develop and stick to her budget, remember when to send deposits, design table settings and layouts, and stay connected to her mom or maid of honor. And it has links to vendors and resources.

The Knot Ultimate Wedding Planner : Worksheets, Checklists, Etiquette, Calendars, and Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Since it comes from The Knot, you know it’s got brides in mind. Their Knot Ultimate Wedding Planner covers just about everything and takes the future bride and groom on a step by step journey through the land of wedding planning. Plus it has some great etiquette and relationship advice!

8 Responses to “Releasing the wedding planner within”

Actually,it’s perfect for control freak brides like me, too. ; )

I couldn’t have imagined turning the reins over to someone else. Then again, from an early date I started figuring out all the things I could do myself or ask a friend to do for me. In the end, I only hired a very few people. The sort of wedding I wanted wouldn’t have gained much from having a professional wedding planner involved. I think the only professional I hired without knowing him in advance was the county clerk who performed the ceremony. Oh, and the guy I rented the space from. But I knew several people who had been married in the same place, and nobody had ever complained about the setup, so I figured I was on solid ground there.

2. Bria says:

I just found out today that State Farm customers can get a free (HUGE) wedding planner from the State Farm Life Events group (or something like that). I went to see my agent about putting my engagement ring on my jewelry policy, and she showed me the office copy of the planner. It’s lovely, comprehensive, spiral bound, and did I mention free? They’re sending it now…NtB, I’ll let you know how it looks when I get a chance to really dig in with my own copy!

3. Meg says:

The State Farm planner is truly an overwhelming work of planning genius.

It’s great if you’re planning a traditional wedding with a full complement of catering, bridesmaids, groomsmen, etc etc etc. All sorts of calendar sheets and vendor comparison sheets and the like.

If you’re going a more low-key route, it’s kind of overkill.

What I really need is a bridal guide for the “so you’re doing it all yourself and you don’t actually give a damn about flowers, cake, or anything else but who stands with you, and that people get fed” type.

4. Never teh Bride says:

Wow, Bria, that sounds wonderful! Do let me know what all is inside!

Meg: For something like that (which is basically what I’m all about – simplicity and doing things my own way), I think a simple excel spreadsheet or any blank spreadsheet would make a dandy wedding planning device because you can write in whatever catagories and things you like! But I’m going to look into the guides out there and see if I can find one that’s more alternative.

I used 3×5 index cards and a notepad. I was very low-tech in those days.

There are also several wedding guides on the market directed at the bride who wants to do a lot of the work simply and inexpensively for herself. A glance in your local bookstore or on Amazon should turn up half a dozen useful books on the subject.

But for the bride who wants it all, Bria, I think it’s great that there’s a free bridal guide out there to help you pull it all together so efficiently. I hope you’ll let us all know how it is to work with.

6. Meg says:

I’ve looked all over the bookstores and not been impressed. Even the “anti-bride” guide was still way too “OMG, You must be the princess of the day!”

So far I’m making due with a lot of spreadsheets, one hilarious book on etiquette, and an accordion folder for all the various data I’ve collected that’s not online (like the brochure for our chapel).

7. Jennifer says:

Meg – you might want to consider a more generic event planning guidebook. A wedding is just another event, after all. Especially if you are going the non-princess route.

8. Meg says:

I may look into that.

Doing it in Vegas means that the chapel package deals with flowers, etc etc etc. So I don’t have a whole lot to keep track of other than whatever we end up deciding to do for catering.

Although we are throwing a shindig back here, and I might need more help planning that. To the bookstore!