Making a splash with a sash

A splash of color adds interest

Now that an intense splash of color is considered de rigeur on wedding gowns, plenty of designers are stepping up to the plate with vividly-hued sashes that fall to the front, the side, or the back of the gown. I’m not usually a fan of giant butt embellishments, but I love the way the blue sash cascades on this white Amsale gown. It features a French blue taffeta sash which accents a Duchess satin strapless a-line gown with fitted bodice. The sash can be pinned any number of ways, from what I’ve seen.

It’s nice to be able to see the gown on a real bride. Too, too, too often the stick-thin models are simply swimming in the gowns in the adverts.

15 Responses to “Making a splash with a sash”

I have to admit the dress does pretty much nothing for me, but yay to an actual, normal-sized, happily smiling woman showing it off! More companies should use images like this, rather than the rake-thin, scowling zombies so often portrayed in wedding gown advertisements.

2. cristina says:

OK, it’s a nice gown and she’s a nice looking bride, but what’s with her hair? Did she just get off a rollercoaster?

3. jenny says:

Don’t mock, Christina! That’s what my poor hair looks like most of the time, and I just can’t help it! (Actually, on a bad day I look like Gene Wilder; on a good day, like this bride.)

I love the colored sash. I wish that this idea had been around when I got married. That French blue is gorgeous & elegant. I just love the whole color-idea in general for brides—though I’m not sure that I’d step out in a red sequined number or anything…

4. Bria says:

Psst….that’s not French blue.

5. Phyllis says:

I think it’s cute that you can see a faint tan line on her back – she’s just a normal person. Also – does the Amsale site say that gown is Duchesse satin? (I looked but couldn’t find it).. It really looks like taffeta to me – the wrinkles give it away. Duchesse satin is a heavy fabric that doesn’t wrinkle much – it sort of creases instead.

6. jenny says:

Bria, you’re right. Isn’t French blue more of a cobalt or Delft color? But this color does remind me of the walls or drapes in a very elegant French home…

7. Bria says:

I’d say you’re right on both counts, jenny 🙂

I’m not sure yet how I feel about this colored sash fad. My little sister is wearing a sash on her dress for her wedding this summer, but I’m think I’m going sashless for mine. Still, I think the one pictured is lovely!

Cobalt is a much darker, brighter blue. I’d call it a faded French Blue. It definitely has a lot of grey in like like French Blue. Actually, I think the color of the sash is the thing I like best about the entire gown.

9. Never teh Bride says:

Bria: It may just be the photograph. If you compare the blue as portrayed in this picture to the blue of the sash on the dress on Amsale’s web site, it’s really quite different.

10. Jessica says:

Colored sashes are a fad now? Darn it. Although pretty much all of my female friends are less catty than I am, and will not snark the way I once chanted “butt bow, butt bow” under my breath.

(Psst, NtB.)

11. jenny says:

Sad thing is: it would actually take a bow that big to cover my butt!

12. Lazy Wife says:

I think the sash looks gorgeous! Very flattering!! If red hadn’t been my theme I probably would have considered adding a splash of color.

13. Motormouth says:

I carried a vibrant bouquet, which was lovely against my eggshell-colored dress, and less “faddy,” too. No need to emphasize my booty — it already speaks for itself. 🙂

14. Can’t say I’m a fan of the butt sash sorry…..

15. Rosie 2041 says:

I like the idea of an interesting detail at the back of the dress, and i think this is quite pretty, not too startling a colour. made me remember that dress worn by an Arquette sister (i think?) years ago, which had the most beautifully embroidered train. must dig out a pic. Perhaps NTB knows the dress I’m on about ? it also featured black panels (maybe), which sounds freaky, but the whole look was spectacular.