Hot Mommas

One lovely lady

With folks living longer than ever and generally being hipper and healthier as they enter their mid-lives, I find it entirely unsurprising that many mother-of-the-brides are seeking classier, sleeker looks. They want to dress for the solemnity of the occasion yet avoid looking like staid old dowagers. While something in blazered two-piece taupe tends to be standard MotB fare, I love this Cachet organza skirt set with its wide flutter collar and forgiving ruched waist. It’s simple, elegant, and wonderfully colorful without being all, “Look at me! Look at me!”

And that is often the best way to draw appreciative eyes in one’s direction.

12 Responses to “Hot Mommas”

1. Twistie April 24, 2006 at 2:15 pm #

That’s absolutely gorgeous, NtB! I’ve always hated the idea of MOB and MOG dresses because most of them are simply dowdy, tacky, and unflattering. This, OTOH, is a lovely gown a sophisticated woman could wear again. I, for one, heartily approve.

2. Never teh Bride April 24, 2006 at 6:16 pm #

Me, too, Twistie. There is no rule of etiquette that state that MotBs must look like caricatures of old ladies.

3. Anne April 24, 2006 at 8:40 pm #

Aww, my fiancee’s mom just showed me the dress she’s planning on wearing and it’s pretty typical MOG- looking. Very bright colored and large flower print with a matching jacket. I wish she was up for something more like this! There needs to be a middle ground for the stylish-in-training.

4. Phyllis April 24, 2006 at 10:26 pm #

That’s a great look…. now my my own wedding is firmly in the past, I’ve set my sights on my own (well in the future) MOB wear. I like this Vintage Vogue pattern quite a bit.

5. jenny April 25, 2006 at 12:22 am #

This wide collar and the “wrap” waist are absolutely gorgeous. Like something you’d wear to have a formal portrait painted. And it would look fab in just about any color—even in a print!

6. Annalucia April 25, 2006 at 2:07 pm #

Ah! How the Annalucia wishes she had known about this when her eldest daughter was married. ..

7. Jessica April 25, 2006 at 2:16 pm #

That is pretty nice. I’m not loving the idea of the lilac on my future mother-in-law, though. She’d be better off in a blue or a deep green.

8. Never teh Bride April 25, 2006 at 3:08 pm #

It’s definitely not a color for everyone, Jessica. I looked around but couldn’t find it in anything other than the lilac. I think it’s a discontinued style.

9. jenny April 25, 2006 at 7:29 pm #

…but it’s one that I think could be fairly easily re-created by a good seamstress in any color you’d like…

10. Jessica April 26, 2006 at 12:49 am #

ooh, good point!

We may look at this for her (if that’s not too much for a Sunday afternoon wedding).

11. Twistie April 26, 2006 at 11:21 am #

That’s quite pretty and sophisticated, Jessica. If the wedding is formal enough, I would think it would be appropriate. My personal thought would be that if the bridesmaid’s are in tea length or floor length dresses, then it would seem reasonable for the moms to wear floor length.

12. Never teh Bride April 26, 2006 at 1:43 pm #