A groom’s cake for gamers

The tradition of having a second wedding cake, which can be presented at either at the rehearsal or the reception, has its roots in the southern United States. The groom’s cake, as this cake is known, is typically smaller than the main wedding cake and is often quirky–remember the bleeding armadillo cake from Steel Magnolias? In the past, the groom’s cake was quickly cut and boxed during the wedding reception. Every unmarried woman was given a slice to take home and put under their pillows (um, ew). The man she dreamed about that night would become her husband.

Today’s groom’s cake is typically a reflection of the groom’s interests. A quick Google search for “groom’s cake” reveals images of small (and often brown) cakes shaped like dogs, golf clubs, computers, fish, cowboy hats, and more. A regular poster on the Cheap Ass Gamer message boards was happily surprised to receive a groom’s cake shaped like an XBOX.

Play it don\'t spray it, yo

I think that is pretty cool, but I’m biased considering I once made a very similar Sega DreamCast cake for The Beard. I am now considering creating a bleeding armadillo cake, just for the heck of it. If you, too, want to serve a slice of armadillo butt to your beau (just like Ouiser Boudreaux!), a recipe can be found here.

7 Responses to “A groom’s cake for gamers”

1. Twistie June 21, 2006 at 1:36 pm #

That cake is awesome! And I don’t even have a gaming console!

Never did see Steel Magnolias. Now I begin to think I may have missed something.

2. patient one June 21, 2006 at 4:27 pm #

My fiance is a major gamer. He thought the cake was a neat idea, but that the new X-BOX 360 would look even better.

I’m thinking about an October wedding, so I’m trying to come up with a fun theme cake that’s not completely cheesy. Any ideas?

3. Style Graduate June 21, 2006 at 5:17 pm #

Hi NtB, I thought you might be interested in this site: http://www.sewbridal.com/Gown_Sale/gown_sale.html

They are gowns used for the photographs on bridal dress patterns, and they’re being sold for just the cost of materials.

4. Phyllis June 21, 2006 at 6:54 pm #

This makes me think of the speech by the Anglican Bishop (Peter Cook) in the movie “Princess Bride”…”Wuv – Twue Wuv – bwings us togetha today…”

5. Never teh Bride June 22, 2006 at 11:22 am #

Thanks for the tip, Style Graduate! It does make me wish I was a size 6-8. Sigh…

And patient one, I’ll give it some thought

6. Style Graduate June 22, 2006 at 1:11 pm #

patient one, I’d do a maple leaf shaped cake with gold leaf details for the groom’s cake, and a traditional white tiered cake with sugar paste maple leaves for the main wedding cake. You could also go with more of a harvest theme; marzipan icing (much tastier than fondant!) can be a lovely wheat color, which would go well with grapes, apples, and other fall fruits.

7. Never teh Bride June 22, 2006 at 1:53 pm #

I’m quite fond of this cake a friend of mine had at his wedding. It even has acorns!