Tungsten!

When I think of the love I want in my life, I think of two songs: Morning Song and Painters by Jewel from the album Pieces of You. Two passages come to mind.

From Morning Song: It’s you that I adore, for you I’ll be a poor man’s wife.

From Painters: They painted every, passion every home, created every beautiful child. In the winter they were weavers of warmth, in summer they were carpenters of love. They thought blue prints were too sad so they made them yellow.

Kind of sappy, I know. But I’m a sap for everlasting love. I like hearing about happily married old folks celebrating golden anniversaries. I like hearing about young couples beating the odds. I like it when my friends get married, especially when they get married to each other. So what does this have to do with tungsten? Tungsten carbide–a metal alloy ten times harder than 18K gold–is a relative newcomer on the wedding band scene, but one that apparently will “last as long as your commitment to each other.”

A metal truly ready for commitment

What that means is that your tungsten carbine wedding bands, once polished and sized, will never lose its finish and will furthermore never pick up unsightly scratches, dents, or pits. The thought of never having to have one’s wedding band replaced is an intriguing one.

Tungsten carbide’s sole folly is the same as its most appealing trait. Namely, its everlastingness. In the event of an emergency, hospital and ambulance workers may not know how to remove a tungsten carbide ring stuck on a finger. Tungsten-Jewelry.com provides tungsten wearers with this advice:

Rings made of extremely hard materials, like tungsten carbide or ceramic, can only be removed by cracking them into pieces with standard vice grip–style locking pliers. Standard ring cutters will not work. Place vice grip–style locking pliers over ring and adjust the jaws to clamp lightly. Release and adjust tightener one-third turn and then clamp again. Repeat until a crack is heard, and then continue clamping in different positions until the hard material breaks away.

14 Responses to “Tungsten!”

That’s a very pretty ring, I must say.

OTOH, my mother’s sterling silver triple band lasted the more than thirty years she was married to my father, and has stood up to thirteen years of my marriage, thus far. My sterling frog engagement ring is also still shiny and dent-free after all these years.

I’d also like to point out I’m a klutz and don’t protect my rings (or my hands) nearly as well as I should most of the time. I fiddle with my rings all the time (twisting them, pulling them off and on, rolling them around my fingers) too.

YMMV, but if sturdiness is your goal, ordinary silver and gold have worked just fine for everyone I’ve known.

As I say, though, I love the look of that ring. Very classy.

2. Never teh Bride says:

You’re luckier than I am, Twistie. A lot of my gold and silver rings have nicks and scratches from where clumsy old me gets them caught in doors and bangs them on tables. I even have a 24k gold band that I managed to contort into an oval by catching it on the side of a small pet enclosure 🙂

3. Ninjarina says:

It looks quite nice and clean. I like it but it wouldn’t be a thing for me just b/c my fingers tend to swell up and calm down through the course of the day. Maybe just wear the ring on a chain?

Sounds like tungsten might be practical for you, then, NtB! LOL!

If it makes you feel any better, I kill nice clothes like you seem to maim rings. I bought a new blouse less than two weeks ago, and I’ve already had to wash it four times! I’ve only worn it twice…three times if you count today, and it’s already had to be emergency cleaned for tamale sauce and chocolate. Tonight’s dinner plans involve soy sauce, so I think I’ll change before I start cooking. Pity. It’s a really nice blouse, but there’s no way it will be worn to a party until it’s proven to me that it can fail to act as a magnet to all potential stain sources at least twice.

5. BBB says:

Can you please contact me @ weddings@beautifulbridesandbeyond.com. Your link was posted on my wedding forum by a fan of yours and i’d like to know how I could add our link to your blog if at all possible.

Thanks
    BBB

6. Meg says:

We went with titanium for the lack of beating up (because I am hell on my rings) but the ability for it to be easily taken off in an emergency.

Tungsten is cool, but it scares me.

7. jenny says:

Heaven help the man who gets this ring stuck on something during a weekend project or basketball game. He’ll be lucky if he has a finger left to slip his new ring onto. Seriously. I know several guys who’ve broken fingers because their rings were snagged somehow and didn’t pull off easily enough.

8. Stacy says:

We decided against anything like Tungsten or Titanium, because we wanted to be able to resize things…. And they just sort of scare us. But some of them are so freakin’ gorgeous.

9. Liz says:

I have a tungsten carbide ring and I love it! I am a very active person and so is my husband and the rings were worth every cent! I hope you like them!

10. Rick says:

If you are looking for an alternative metal wedding band, keep in mind that while titanium and tungsten both look pretty sleek, they can not be sized. So stay away from those all you can eat buffets!

If interested, here’s a guide to help you choose the right metal for your engagement ring, wedding band or wedding ring – http://www.novelldesignstudio.com/choosing_your_metal/index.php.

11. cleon dann says:

awesome!! i have a good experience with tungsten ring…I never used to take off my tungsten ring from finger for last two year and you will not find even single scratch on it… i got it with life time guarantee but i think i never ever need 2 use this…

cleon dann

12. ethan1066 says:

i have a tungsten ring and my ring is the most ultimate wedding ring on the planet. Very strong, very tough, very durable, very scratch resistant, very unique, very happily stuck on my finger.”

13. Tungsten says:

I would have to agree with Twistie ,) on the fact of going with a Tungsten Ring, I mean, they are super durable and very hard, and when compared to a gold ring, they are actually 09 on the hardness scale, considering that gold is 02 on the hardness scale, and when it comes to clumsiness, or even the adventurous types too ,) the tungsten rings are your best bet! ,)

14. lettershanson says:

I ordered this ring not thinking I would like it that much cause it was so inexpensive. But thought I would give it a shot. This ring is great I am getting married in a couple months so its perfect. I have never worn rings before and this is very comfortable to wear. I am definately going to buy from these guys again selceted the standard shipping and got in just a few days. The other reviews are right the color is a little bit darker not much though. Can’t beat the price. Thanks guys.