Simply glamorous

Okay, people, repeat after me. “A bride should not resemble a mock up of a homecoming queen or Miss America’s body double.” Seriously. I’ve been researching bridal baubles for a friend of mine and it seems that the world of wedding wear is overrun with blazingly white four strand faux pearl chokers, giant multi-level rhinestone earrings, and two inch wide bracelets that look like miniature pageant tiaras. I get it. Brides want to look glamorous. Who doesn’t?

But, really, what’s more glamorous: A simple pair of precious or semi-precious gem stud earrings paired with a matching pendant necklace? Or a rhinestone replica of that blue diamond necklace from the movie Titanic?

Here’s a good rule of thumb: If your gown is highly embellished, stick to simple jewelry. And if your gown presents a simple, unadorned silhouette, your jewelry should get bigger and more elaborate. Good taste and personal preference playing key roles in both instances, of course.

What constitutes simple, yet glamorous? How about dyed freshwater pearl earrings?

5 Pair Set Dyed Multicolor Pastel 8-8.5mm Freshwater Cultured Pearl Earrings

Or understated diamond studs?

14k Gold, Round, Diamond Stud Earrings (1/2 cttw, I-J Color, I1-I-2 Clarity)

8 Responses to “Simply glamorous”

1. Kai Jones October 30, 2006 at 3:48 pm #

I think the classic rules are useful: get completely ready and then take off one accessory, or get ready and look in a full length mirror and take off the thing you look at first (change it out for something plainer).

I never wanted all the bling, because I want to be what people are looking at, not my jewelry or my dress or my flowers.

2. Never teh Bride October 30, 2006 at 6:21 pm #

“get ready and look in a full length mirror and take off the thing you look at first”

I’ve never heard this before but I think it’s a real gem of wisdom. Sure, there is a time and a place for accent pieces, but if people on the street can’ stop staring at your ears, neck, chest, wrists, or fingers, something is amiss.

3. Dataceptionist October 31, 2006 at 1:25 am #

my dress has no beading or anything http://manolobrides.com/2006/01/05/blushing-brides/
    so I’m wearing big crystal chandelier earrings and a delicate crystal cuff and thats it for me!

4. Dataceptionist October 31, 2006 at 1:27 am #

gah I don’t know what is going on with my link posting today. That isn’t my dress! Its beautiful, but THIS is my dress

5. Never teh Bride October 31, 2006 at 11:54 am #

That link isn’t working for me….but I really want to see your dress! Which collection is it in and what’s it called?

6. Stacy November 2, 2006 at 12:31 pm #

I’m all about the simpler accessories, too.. especially with the feel I’m going for with my wedding. I may even be trendy and do a lariat down my back for the v-neck on my dress.. But most likely, I’ll just borrow some pearls from my mom and be done with it, since I want the focus on me, too. And, her pink pearls will go well with blush…

OK, my hair will probably have some sparkle to it, but I’m trying to dress up hair that’s not even chin-length.

I’ve just never understood the whole appeal of being a princess.

7. La BellaDonna November 6, 2006 at 4:59 pm #

I’m going to take this opportunity to stick up for the right of the bride to express herself as she sees fit on her wedding day. It is, I think no more appealing, and no more correct, for the Minimally Inclined to say, “How vulgar! How excessive!” to someone’s wedding choice, than it is for the Maximally Inclined to say, “How boring! How pedestrian!” to someone else’s choice. Stacy has every right not to be a princess on her wedding day, just as another girl has every right to be a princess, if she wants to.

I applaud the fact that you ladies seem to have very firm ideas of what you want for yourselves, but … it just makes it correct for you. There’s nothing inherently “wrong” with the bride who wants Tudor or Baroque splendour, or maybe a jewel-strewn diadem to pin her veil in place. It’s just different – it’s not wrong.

Fashions change; that includes fashions in what is “tasteful.”

8. fannypie November 6, 2006 at 8:57 pm #

I [heart] you, LaBellaDonna. You just said what I have thought many times while reading comments here, only much more eloquently than I would have. I’m borrowing a beautiful and substantial diamond necklace from my fiance’s family’s store to wear for our wedding…it is so elegant, and so much more than I would ever wear on any other occasion (or own, even). It would be a shame for someone to decide it’s vulgar or distasteful just because it’s not what she would pick for herself.