A deadline and a reconsideration

Okay…since I know there were some of you who planned to submit Bad Bridesmaid stories but haven’t gotten around to it yet, I’m extending my contest deadline to Tuesday at 10 p.m. EST. That’s two more days for you to send me your quirky, scary, funny, and horrifying bridesmaid stories!

Now, that said, I’d like to revisit the butterfly release issue. I received some very, very gentle flack from readers who have had traumatic butterfly experiences. And Elizabeth Stacey was kind enough to remind me that animal releases of all sorts are usually no fun for the animal themselves. Why this didn’t enter into my thoughts — being a vegetarian and animal lover — from the very beginning is beyond me. But when you gals are right, you’re right.

So, by way of an apology to all the butterflies out there who have been stuffed into cramped and dark boxes for shipping purposes, I created this badly done up jpeg using Paint:

Just say no to butterfly releases!

6 Responses to “A deadline and a reconsideration”

Whew! Thanks for extending the deadline. Things happened and I never got my story to you. Now I have another chance to miss the deadline! Yay!

I, too, got more educated on the release issue. There were deeper aspects that had, sadly, never ocurred to me.

2. Lowy says:

Aw, thank you so much for taking the time to review the comments on the butterfly issue and especially for posting the link to the North American Butterfly Association! I really appreciate your thoughtfulness (and your mad MacPaint skillz).

3. Chad says:

I think it’s more cruel to stuff someones feet into those high heeled shoes than to put a butterfly (an insect) into a box.

4. Never teh Bride says:

But the difference is that wearing heels is a choice each of us is free to make or not for ourselves.

5. Sam Wright says:

If you ever see a picture of the Monarchs hanging in layers from the trees in Mexico, then you wouldn’t think an envelope is confining. They are layered one on top of the other. Frankly, I have been to a wedding where the bride and groom wanted butterflies and their friends purchased them because they hadn’t seen any Monarchs around that year. The Monarchs were released and they stayed in their garden for over two weeks. There were many beautiful pictures of the kids and adults enjoying the release. I hope you post this so that people can see that there’s also a really good side to butterfly releases. Regards, Sam

6. Heather says:

I have conserved and protected and loved butterflies since 1974. I sell them to brides, greiving-hurting people and others………the butterflies are a gift from God. God put us in charge of the animals. I raise butterflies to share the miracle of hope, transformation and a new beginning. It’s not like they are harmed, they are protected. How about getting on those people who go fishing and throw the fish back in, after ripping its mouth up, or cutting the frogs’ legs off and throwing the frog back in….to die…because it can’t swim now….just because you like the taste of frog legs. Nothing cruel is done to the butterflies, they only are a natural way to share joy and love………why don’t you get on God for sending freezing weather to Mexico and killing millions of them in one night! Are you above God? NABA are you?