What money can do

In case you missed WE’s Platinum Weddings (like I did), I wanted to share some screen caps of what amounts to nuptial consumer frenzy. Not that there is anything wrong with spending money, mind you. As Sterlingspider — who passed the links on to me — noted in her blog, you can do wonderful things with a phat wad of cash. Unfortunately, some people have access to all the money in the world and still end up with tacky weddings. The first wedding I like…the second, eh, not so much.

Sharmeen and Zain enjoyed a three-day celebration that incorporated elements of traditional Eastern and Western weddings. To give you an idea of how this couple made use of their $500,000 budget, Sharmeen’s jewelry cost an estimated $45,000. Heck, the cake cost $10,000.

sharmeen.jpgsharmeen1.jpg
sharmeen2.jpgsharmeen3.jpg

Is there such a thing as too over the top? Lana and Victor didn’t think so. Their $1.5 million wedding, held at the Four Seasons, featured a 12-course meal, endless vodka and caviar, dancers flown in from across the globe, and hundreds of gold and diamond pendant party favors made to look like Faberge eggs. The bride’s dress (which she designed) had a 40-foot train and cost over $200,000….but that didn’t stop her from changing her outfit seven times during the celebration. Zowie!

lana.jpglana1.jpg
lana2.jpglana3.jpg

I hope this show will get on the re-run roster!

9 Responses to “What money can do”

1. Alison says:

I hate to admit it, but I saw the episode featuring Lana and Victor. It wasn’t even a wedding, it was a vow renewal. The bride made her dresses and her daughter’s dresses because she has her own fashion line, so I think a large part of this is self-promotion. I have no idea how that dress managed to cost $200,000, especially if they didn’t pay a famous designer to put it together. Crazyness.

2. Alison says:

Sorry, that should be craziness.

3. Phyllis says:

Too bad there wasn’t enough money for a hairdresser.

4. Re Lana-
    too bad with all the cash she couldn’t afford THE REST OF HER DRESS. As my family oftened joked (about me), no one wants to be looking at the bride as she walks down the aisle thinking “whoa would you look at those knockers”!!!
    Someone should have shared this wisdom with her.

5. amy says:

a million dollar vow renewal, huh? he must’ve really done something to make her angry…

6. Kai Jones says:

And WTF with the votives on the floor and the sweeping train! A fire marshal would freak out!

7. La BellaDonna says:

Alison, it looks to me as if there are several rows of pearls stitched at the neckline of her dress. If she decided to use real pearls, that could up the ante considerably, depending on their quality. I can’t get a good enough look at the gown to determine its fabric; I regret to say there are a few pieces out there in Textileland which I’ve seen and liked, the cost of which could easily have pushed the dress right up into $100,000, before I’d set a stitch into it.

Why, yes, thank you, I too would like to live in Fairyland, and have a gazillion dollars to spend marrying the man I love.

It must be nice.

8. JaneC says:

I love how they’ve imprisoned the guests in the pews with all that draped fabric so they won’t knock over the votive candles. But yeah, major fire hazard with all those candles on the floor, and fabric, and guests only being able to leave the pews from one side.

Dataceptionist–I know what you mean about the dress!

9. sunny says:

Please tell me this show is coming back soon! I loved it!