Yes, bubba, you can take a theme too far.

A long while back, reader Beth sent me some photos of an unusual wedding. While she didn’t have any information on the bride or the groom, the wedding was purported to have taken place “on the bayou.”

bayou1.JPG

I imagine that there were a number of jokes among guests about not being able to see the bridal party.

bayougroomsman.JPG

Perhaps this fellow fueled the fire! He does look like a rakish sort.

loveatfirstshot.JPG

You know, there weren’t enough guns involved in the ceremony or reception if you ask me. What’s the point of gettin’ all done up in reedy camo if you can’t plug holes in a few duckies? I’m a vegetarian myself, but I wouldn’t want anyone to curb their fun on my account.

22 Responses to “Yes, bubba, you can take a theme too far.”

1. Twistie August 3, 2007 at 1:11 pm #

Oh. Dear.

2. talda August 3, 2007 at 4:08 pm #

if i were picked as a bridesmaid, i’d find a way to fire myself.

3. Dianasaur August 4, 2007 at 1:50 pm #

See what happens when you let the groom plan the wedding?

4. Polka Dot Bride August 5, 2007 at 4:19 am #

Tag, you’re it!

Players list 8 facts/habits about themselves. The rules of the game are posted at the beginning before those facts/habits are listed. At the end of the post, players then tag 8 people by posting their names and makes sure they know they’ve been tagged by leaving a comment at the tagee’s blog.

5. class-factotum August 5, 2007 at 7:15 pm #

I know someone who had a “Gangsters and Molls” theme for the third of her fourth weddings. The men dressed like 1920s mobsters and carried (I am not making this up) plastic Tommy guns with them during the service. The women, including the bride, looked like showgirls (and not the classy kind).

Surprisingly, the marriage did not last.

6. Carol Herman August 5, 2007 at 7:47 pm #

Well, I just bought Rebecca Mead’s “One Perfect Day: The Selling of the American Wedding.” She mentions the American habit of wanting to be unique. Not only in the face of “traditions” … but something that’s been taken over by a $600-billion-dollar industry. No need to wonder why. Ideals are manufactured beyond hollywood, these days.

Meanwhile, I happen to like this camophlage wedding. It seems an important part of the lives of those in attendance. And, from the first picture, there seems to be a lot of love shining through on the faces of those in the wedding party.

And, then I noticed “IT.” The wedding cake. I could be wrong. But I think it’s BLOCKS OF ICE, died green. With stuff “stuck” into it; to give the feel of the Bayou. WOW! Now, that’s original. So, compliments to the bride for thinking up a way to get married that sure is “different.” And, will be discussed as such long after the kids come. And, the folks grow old. You bet, I wish them well.

Getting married still means you’re changing your status. Let happiness ever after, reign. Though it sure didn’t for Princess Diana.

7. bethgirl August 6, 2007 at 11:03 am #

YAY! I am so happy you found the chance to share these photos – I do agree that there is a lot of love present at this wedding – and I am sure it was a good party. Thanks for sharing them with your audience!

8. Ninjarina August 6, 2007 at 4:11 pm #

I would say “ew” but upon a second viewing of these pics, it doesn’t look too bad. I’m not really a theme wedding sort of gal but well, I am pretty open to “to hell with tradition!”

I’ve seen some ghetto weddings too but this is pretty much the opposite of “ostentatious display of wealth” when you think about it.

9. Carol Herman August 7, 2007 at 1:18 am #

Take another look at that green cake! It looks to me to be solid ice. In other words? You can see some of the “bayou plantings” that were frozen in. Then, for the details? How was the green frosting work, so it didn’t slide off.

A+ for innovation! And, that’s not easy in a society that wants innovation. And, here? You better believe this groom is one happy man! He didn’t have to go through the rigamarole of a wedding he’d have hated.

And, somebody should try to duplicate that cake idea! It’s a winnah!

10. VeddyVeddyBadAng August 7, 2007 at 10:19 am #

That cake is not made of ice – it appears to be airbrushed in shades of green and brown, giving it a translucent appearance. I think they were either trying to go for a “camo” motif, or wanted it to look like swamp water.

11. jcc August 7, 2007 at 4:31 pm #

Well, I guess they’ve solved the dilemma of what to do with your old bridesmaid dress.

12. Shannon O'Neill August 7, 2007 at 11:16 pm #

MY GOODNESS! What A THEME, and those bridesmaids look so THRILLED.

Who ever put that wedding together definitely had an all encompassing vision in mind; I think that vision was certainly brought to life and underlined.

-Shannon M. O’Neill, WPICC
    Certified Wedding Consultant & Coordinator

13. Carol Herman August 11, 2007 at 12:11 am #

I’M STICKING WITH ICE! The cake’s translucent. NOT AIR-BRUSHED. Remember, folks, where you ARE in this scenery. The cake’s holding “swamp grasses.” And, it’s very, very clever IF it is in fact ICE.

Water can be died dark green. My guess is that a GLUE, in green color was used to provide the TRIM. “Fluted on” … with a “star tip.”

Too bad no one knows the bride. Because anyone who does a book on THEMES; or even writes articles for magazines; has found one here that’s very unique.

And, I’ll tell ya something else. A man that’s happy at his own wedding, is heading in the right direction.

You bet, I think this one works! And, the BUDGET works, too!

14. Prepkarce October 24, 2007 at 8:44 pm #

Oups…

15. JoAnne January 21, 2008 at 1:24 pm #

Yep…this does seem a little overboard, but you would NOT believe the number of brides I am working with right now, who WANT the traditional wedding gown, elegantly done, with just an accent of camouflage on it somewhere, along with the camo edging on the veil. Visit my site and see some of the styles they are loving. It’s elegant and NOT over done. Custom gowns at no more than the bridal shops…done YOUR way…at YOUR price too! We are calling the line “A TOUCH of CAMO”

16. mynameisgoor August 14, 2008 at 8:37 am #

You are not right.

17. teeracrobia October 27, 2008 at 11:14 am #

There was this guy see.
    He wasn’t very bright and he reached his adult life without ever having learned “the facts”.
    Somehow, it gets to be his wedding day.
    While he is walking down the isle, his father tugs his sleeve and says,

“Son, when you get to the hotel room…Call me”

Hours later he gets to the hotel room with his beautiful blushing bride and he calls his father,

“Dad, we are the hotel, what do I do?”

“O.K. Son, listen up, take off your clothes and get in the bed, then she should take off her clothes and get in the bed, if not help her. Then either way, ah, call me”

A few moments later…

“Dad we took off our clothes and we are in the bed, what do I do?”

O.K. Son, listen up. Move real close to her and she should move real close to you, and then… Ah, call me.”

A few moments later…

“DAD! WE TOOK OFF OUR CLOTHES, GOT IN THE BED AND MOVED REAL CLOSE, WHAT DO I DO???”

“O.K. Son, Listen up, this is the most important part. Stick the long part of your body into the place where she goes to the bathroom.”

A few moments later…

“Dad, I’ve got my foot in the toilet, what do I do?”

18. DD November 21, 2008 at 2:52 pm #

For some reason, this wedding depresses me greatly.

19. MamMoulakly January 6, 2009 at 1:58 pm #

What is bumburbia?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks:

1. Manolo's Shoe Blog: Shoes, Fashion, Celebrity, and Manolo! - August 5, 2007

[…] Never the Bride You know, there weren’t enough guns involved in the ceremony or reception if you ask me. What’s the point of gettin’ all done up in reedy camo if you can’t plug holes in a few duckies? […]

2. The Bitch Girls :: Never Enough Guns - August 5, 2007

[…] detected some snark in these comments by Never teh Bride in this post on a camo themed wedding. Yes, bubba, you can take a theme too […]

3. 5 Wedding Websites I Simply Adore - Hit Weddings Blog - HitWeddings.com - November 7, 2007

[…] For The Brides What I particularly love about Manolo is the humor, posts like this one really make me chuckle and are much needed light-hearted take on things. As you no doubt know […]