Too much of a good thing

In response to the Bitch Girls’ response to my last post, I have to say that I wasn’t always a veg-head. In fact, I was once a pretty sure shot with a .22 in both a range setting and outdoor conditions. My dad is an avid hunter and my oldest younger brother’s nickname is, in fact, Bubba. So it’s certainly not a fear of guns or hunting or guys named Bubba that makes me break into giggles around that much camo. I’m just a firm believer that there can be too much of a good thing, by which I mean any “thing,” at a wedding.

lvcakebag.jpg

Would this Louis Vuitton cake look better as part of a relatively ‘clean’ reception in terms of color or part of a LV extravaganza like this one?

cuuuuuube.JPG

I love this cake from Holly’s Cakes of Anderson, SC, but would I love it as a part of a massivively executed 80s theme? Probably not.

football.JPG

Do I care about football? No. Do I like your Baltimore Ravens garter that matches your centerpieces, your unity candle, and the aisle runner? Not particularly. Do I care if I don’t get a piece of that awesome cake? Most definitely!

I happen to think overblown theme weddings are kind of weird and a good way to uglify decorative elements that might stand out beautifully in another context. But in the end, it’s not my wedding anyway. As long as there is good friends and good food (and hopefully booze) present, I’m going to enjoy myself… whether I’m surrounded by a cloud of logos, wearing an off-the-shoulder sweatshirt, listening to the wedding play by play, or –yes– guzzling bubbly in a duck blind.

9 Responses to “Too much of a good thing”

1. Right you are:) There isn’t a theme out there that CAN’T be overdone! The camo one from your last post is a prime example. No matter what theme you pick – there is a right way and a wrong way. If you overdo it – the result is tacky but if you plan it right, any theme can come across as elegant and memorable.

2. Lesley says:

So I’m reading and scrolling, and I get to the last cake:

“Is that, no it can’t be — it is! That’s Kyle Field!”

I’ve climbed those damn circular side ramps enough times to recognize Texas A&M’s football stadium anywhere. Forget the players; all that’s missing is the tiny little precision military marching band in the south end zone, where you can just barely make out “Texas Aggies.”

3. Never teh Bride says:

Wow, that’s awesome, Lesley! I used to follow baseball a few years back and loved going to games, but I’d never recognize the stadiums I frequented in cake form.

4. Ninjarina says:

I’m sorry but I love the Rubik’s cube cake. If it makes the couple happy, I say go for it!

The LV cake however, is tacky. I have a thing against logos.

Some of us got your point, even if one person didn’t.

6. Lisa Mani says:

First off, I wanted to say I love reading your site.

Secondly, I agree with you about there being too much of a good thing at a wedding. I think that although those cakes are cute, I think having a LV cake or a rubix cube cake might be a bit tacky for a wedding.

7. Bitter says:

I stand by my belief that some themes are more awkward and tacky if you don’t dive right into them.

And as for Kyle Field, I will never be caught dead rooting for the Aggies, but there’s a love for that stadium and football that many will never understand unless they know an Aggie. I can see it as a groom’s cake that might just make even the toughest Texas boy tear up.

8. amysue says:

unless that Texas boy went to UT!

and i second what Twistie said.

9. Dianasaur says:

I love the idea of a theme wedding in moderation. It’s a great way to have your wedding be specific to your personalities. Our wedding was renaissance, so we were all in costume and had some renaissance music, and invited the guests to wear costumes. We cut the cake with a sword, but we also did a Hawaiian sand ceremony and did our first dance to a Stryper song, and had yellow roses rather than herbs for my bouquet. I loved picking and choosing the things I wanted to be Renaissance, it was totally “our” wedding, very unique, yet still very elegant.