Red, orange, yellow… mustard?

It’s getting more common by the minute for brides to tell their attendants to, “Just show up in this color.” I myself was once in a wedding where I received no instructions other than ‘purple,’ and believe me when I tell you I spent ages going from store to store looking for something that was good looking, appropriate, and befitting of my MOH status. Oh, and did I mention purple wasn’t exactly a hot color that year? Ask me how many grandmotherly frocks I had to try on before I dissolved into a mass of tears.

If I had to do it all again, I’d probably just hit up Bluefly because I no longer have much of a stomach for shopping when there is a deadline involved.

Nicole Miller ruby red silk ruched strapless dressA.B.S. orange satin babydoll halter dress
YA-YA yellow crinkled chiffon long halter dressY-yigal yellow ochre jersey rhinestone buckle dress

If you ever find yourself floundering in the same boat, have a gander at any one of the above dresses. Of course, I imagine you’ll be more than a little surprised to find that the bride’s only directive is that you find something in ‘mustard,’ but, hey, you never know! And, really, yellow can mean a lot of things… just like my ‘purple’ ended up being a rather reddish plum.

15 Responses to “Red, orange, yellow… mustard?”

1. SJ says:

I did that to my ladies – only it was “forest green” – they all appreciated being able to choose something that suited them, and they all looked fabulous!

2. C* says:

Me to SJ, but my color was chocolate brown and I sent each girl a paint swatch to match their dresses to. The wedding is in 42 days and I can’t wait to see what each girl has chosen! yay!

3. Never teh Bride says:

I’m so glad it worked out well, SJ! I know that even though I had a tough time finding my dress, I felt like a million bucks on my friend’s wedding day because I was comfortable in what I’d chosen.

And good luck, C*! I think the more relaxed attendant “costumes” you see these days are a breath of fresh air. So much nicer for everyone involved than the nasty, crinkly, poufy dresses of yesteryear.

4. Kimmer says:

I did that, but in black. My MOH actually found a stunning dress in black & white. I couldn’t believe it when they argued with me (“The pictures won’t look right unless we’re all in the same dress.”), but they all loved their dresses, and even wore them again! I can’t remember the last time I could do that with one of my bridesmaid’s dresses!

5. Mary says:

I had a friend give me a colorswatch to match when I was picking out my dress. Let me tell you it was pure hell for me and every one of the other bridesmaids. The color was impossible to match, there were literally two dresses in all of dress-dom that matched, I know because we all bought the same two dresses. Then our “friend” the bride bitched because we all had the same two dresses. If you want all of your bridesmaids to look different do them a favor, pick a bridesmaids dress company that has lots of different dress styles but all in the same fabric, or at least all in the same colors. Honestly your bridesmaids have better things to do than running all over kingdom trying to find a dress in the one shade that you just “have to have”

6. belasala says:

I thought about giving my bridesmaids a color and letting them go nuts, but it occurred to me that trying to find a specific color of dress at a specified level of formal is tough. I ended up picking a color and fabric in a line of dresses and letting them pick whichever one fit them best. It was a LOT easier.

7. Never teh Bride says:

I think the key to not driving girlfriends crazy, Mary, is to be as cool as my friend the bride. Even though I felt a little stressed, I knew that she’d be happy with whatever I picked out. She didn’t expect her attendants to have matching purples… she actually expected us not to!

8. Kat says:

When I got married a couple years ago, at the request of I forget who in my bridal party, I went to the local home improvement center and picked out a bunch of paint swatches illustrating colors that I would be fine with. And by a bunch I mean at least 25 colors. I got multiple cards for each color, so that my mom, future mother-in-law, MOH, and bridesmaid each ended up with a deck of colors that they could refer to while shopping. They all loved it, and ended up in a variety of colors and styles that coordinated nicely. I also specifically told them, “Get something you would like to wear again,” so they did, and they have.

9. Never teh Bride says:

That’s brilliant, Kat! What a sweet bride you were!

10. La BellaDonna says:

Most of my bridesmaids could sew (I sewed for my sister, who doesn’t); they just needed shades of blue (their choice of shade, their choice of fabric), trimmed in gold. They ranged from 5 feet tall to 6 feet tall, and every one of them was stunning. And all except for my sister wore the gowns again – and this was nearly 30 years ago. (My sister was going into the Navy and was not a Gown Wearer by nature.)

11. Nony Mouse says:

Could be worse. My instructions to the mothers was “Burgandy” (the ‘maids and MOH were in forest green). My mom’s was more reddish, my step-mom more purpleish but they both loved their look. My brand-new MIL chose “faded blue denim” for some reason that neither I nor DH can fathom.

12. La BellaDonna says:

Oh! Ugh! Now ask me about trying to find navy blue in August – or September – that ISN’T Mother of the Bride! It was five years ago for my brother’s wedding, but the horror is still burnt into my memory. Normally I’d have made something, and I did – the bride’s gown! I had to Settle. I was mortified when I found out that the bride’s mother and I were in variations of the same outfit – granted, hers was burgundy, mine was blue; I had a sheer mid-calf jacket, hers was hiplength, and the beading on the gowns was different, but ugh! The trauma! I did at least tailor mine … and I was asked if I’d made it … but still. Ugh! I’m right there with you on looking for the purple dress.

13. Kate says:

I don’t like such colors especially for weeding dresses. I like traditionally white color for wedding..This color which you propose suit for party but not for weeding..

Life without marriage is nothing! http://aboutvips.com/