Time to raid the closet!

E-mail troubles prevented me from posting this yesterday, but I wanted to direct you to the fabulous Francesca’s post on Manolo for the Big Girl wherein she mentions that Sydney’s Closet is having its fall sale. I know at least one lovely lady who fell in love with a gown from Sydney’s Closet, and it’s easy to see why. Thank ye gods for the Internet, where a girl can find whole shops devoted to her size.

Here are three of my favorites:

Va va va voom!

Covered, but not too covered
(I’d have my seamstress cut off those skinny straps…to me, they say, “Oops, wrong bra!”)

My bosoms would look HUGE

Now if they would just expand their selection…

And since the topic of this post involves both buying dresses online and plus-size shopping, let me direct your attention to a new feature being offered on the David’s Bridal web site, as was also pointed out to me by Francesca (who heard it from Heather). I’ve never cared for David’s Bridal, simply because the customer service differs so much from store to store. One bride walks into David’s and has a wonderful experience. Another does the same and feels mistreated. It was hard to know what you were going to get. Things just got a little easier with the db online collection–an assortment of gowns ranging in size from 2 to 26 that are available exclusively online. There aren’t many gowns available at this point, but I hope they too expand their selection. The best part of this online catalog? The matching misses and plus-size gowns are displayed next to one another on appropriately sized models, and you can watch each model moving in her gown to get a feel for the weight of the fabric. Awesome!

7 Responses to “Time to raid the closet!”

1. Miss Artichoke October 24, 2007 at 4:17 pm #

I almost had a heart attack. That first dress is beautiful. I just bought my beautiful dress this morning. And now I see another dress I like. Fortunately, the dress is out of my budget! Whew!

2. Audrey October 24, 2007 at 7:09 pm #

I must be the only bride out there who felt “eh” about her wedding dress. I have no attachment to it at all, and while I might have felt beautiful trying it on and wearing it for hemming – at the wedding I just felt clothed. What did I do wrong?

That said..I like that first one best. I felt blessed to have the tiny selection of dresses I did in Plus size two years ago..I hate seeing something that chokes me up with its beauty only to find out it doesn’t come in a size past 14.

3. Never teh Bride October 24, 2007 at 11:00 pm #

You’re not the only one, Audrey. I loved my dress in theory, but didn’t bond with it. I ended up giving it to the church to pass on to a needy bride instead of saving it.

4. Melissa October 25, 2007 at 10:19 am #

That first dress is gorgeous — I’m a big fan of white dresses with non-white beading or sashes. Gold on white is one of my favorite looks.

5. La BellaDonna October 29, 2007 at 5:19 pm #

The first dress is lovely, and so is the third; but I must say, the first woman is jaw-droppingly beautiful. That is a bone structure which will last for decades.

6. Never teh Bride October 30, 2007 at 11:51 am #

I couldn’t agree with you more, La BellaDonna. She is entirely too pretty!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks:

1. Big Girl Bridal » Manolo for the Big Girl! - October 24, 2007

[...] Look! The superfantastic Never Teh Bride, who writes the uber-entertaining Manolo for the Brides blog, has picked up Francesca’s story about the sale at Sydney’s Closet, and posts pretty pictures of her favorite plus-size wedding gowns! Go see! [...]