A Crowning Glory On a Budget

I admit it. I’ve never liked wedding veils. I just generally don’t. I never even considered wearing one at my own wedding. They aren’t my style.

On the other hand, I’ve known many a bride who wouldn’t have felt she was getting married without one. It’s traditional, after all, and many women consider them romantic. Who am I to say they’re not?

One thing I think a lot of us will agree on, though, is that wedding veils are darn expensive. I wouldn’t argue the price tag on one trimmed with antique, hand made lace and held in place with a tiara richly bejeweled with sapphires and rubies…but it’s easy to plonk down upwards of $150 on a square of tulle with a bit of ribbon trim and a couple plastic combs to hold it in place. That makes my thrify heart wheeze.

My friends, I’m here to let you in on a secret: if you can cut a straight line and apply glue, you can make your own simple veil for peanuts. Of course, the craftier you are, the nicer veil and headpiece you can make, but even if you’ve never sewed a stitch in your life, you can do this.

The fact is that tulle doesn’t ravel, so it’s not absolutely necessary to sew the edges at all. Tulle and fabric glue and plain, transparent plastic combs are available at your local craft store for next to nothing.

Of course, a veil is always nicer when it’s trimmed in some way. Say, this pretty twisted wire and bead tiara:

Wire and bead DIY tiara

The directions can be found here

Here’s a good basic set of instructions on making your own veil, whether you’re looking to do a simple blusher or an elaborate cathedral-length one.

The DIY Network has instructions for a floral headpiece and veil.

And here at the Michaels website you can find not only instructions for six different sample headpieces and veils, but the materials to make them as well.

Doing something by hand for your own wedding can be immensely satisfying. If it’s fairly simple and saves you a lot of money as well, why not give it a try?

7 Responses to “A Crowning Glory On a Budget”

1. Portside November 4, 2007 at 5:21 am #

While traveling out in SF before my wedding I went to Britex and picked up some tulle and a couple nice metal combs. All in the hope of making my own veil. But somehow, time got away from me and I ended up shelling out another chunk of change for a veil from the store I purchased my dress. *sigh*

2. Toni November 5, 2007 at 12:32 pm #

Have I mentioned how much I love the store I bought my wedding stuff from? After finding me an awesome $400 dress, and not batting an eye at my budget, they also came through on the accessories. They reached right past all the full-price tiaras, and handed me one that was on clearance that “would go perfectly with my dress.” They even threw in the waist-length veil for free. However, had that not been the case, I’m sure I would have ended up making one.

3. Pencils November 5, 2007 at 1:27 pm #

I wasn’t sure about wearing a veil, as I was an older bride, but then I thought “what the hell, if there’s one thing that says ‘bride’ it’s the veil” so I got one, an unobtrusive single-layer fingertip veil.

Veils don’t have to be expensive, and you don’t have to make it yourself, either. I got mine from Occansey Designs at http://www.obridal.com and I loved it. I had little pearls sewn on the edge of my fingertip veil, which pushed up the price a bit, but I think it was only about $60. Kathy from Occansey can make pretty much anything you can think of, she’s fast, and very reasonable price-wise. One of my favorite vendors. I only wore my veil for a little while, as it blew off during the ceremony, but I’m glad I wore it. I love the “veil over the face” photos, which were one of the main reasons I got it in the first place, and it looked really pretty when I was walking down the aisle.

I’ve also heard that if you want a more elaborate lace veil that Sposabella Lace in the Garment District in NYC can make an incredible veil for you at a fraction of the price of the ones in bridal salons. There are also other online veil shops–point being, you don’t have to spend a lot on a veil. No bride should skip a veil because of cost!

4. Pencils November 5, 2007 at 1:35 pm #

Oh, and my tiara was pretty reasonable too–it was from Orange Blossom tiaras and they customized it for me with dark blue crystals. Cost about $100. Then I found the very same tiara from White Aisle, where I got my invitations (great invitations, BTW, I recommend them highly) and it was only about $30. No blue crystals, but… I was not happy, but it was a done deal at that point. Oh well!

5. Nony Mouse November 8, 2007 at 7:06 pm #

My veil cost me $5. Took me 15 minutes to make, day of the wedding, after my hair was done so I knew where to put the comb in relation to the material.
    My mother’s friends were asking about where I’d found my magnificent lace veil. She appearently got a kick out of telling them, “The fabric store.”

6. KateriBella November 9, 2007 at 8:12 pm #

Amen Nony Mouse! I made mine out of a double layer of tulle folded over 2/3 to 1/3, sewn onto a clear plastic comb with fishing line. White ribbon was sewn over the top of that, tied into bows at either end of the comb, then trimmed and sealed at the bottom just short of the lower layer. It fit right over the ends of my tiara up underneath my hairdo. One of my friends, who had just gotten married about six months before I did, had a long veil like mine. She paid $40 for hers. Mine? About $5. He he he he…pays to be creative!

7. Joan H. November 10, 2007 at 11:06 pm #

I’m bookmarking this page for next April when my daughter makes her First Communion…. thanks!