Enter the boob bow

It’s hard to missSomething to hold on to?

You know your best friend isn’t really your best friend when she shows up on your doorstep, terribly excited that she finally found THE perfect bridesmaids’ dresses, and after a great deal of hand fluttering and giggling, she shows you this Saeyoung Vu Couture number. We left butt bows behind for a reason…there’s no need for the boob bow to step in to fill the gap.

All I can think of when looking at this dress is how that bow will undoubtedly come in handy during drunken attendant couplings wherein overzealous and none too coordinated groomsmen are doing their best to make sweet, sweet inebriated love to bridesmaids in reception hall broom closets. The bow says, quite clearly, “Hey, you fumbling oaf, ‘the girls’ are right here!” It is, additionally, something to grab onto when the world starts spinning and all that post-nuptial naughtiness just plain loses its allure.

10 Responses to “Enter the boob bow”

1. Toby Wollin February 11, 2008 at 10:20 am #

This reminds me of the horrific-yet-funny scene from “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” where the heroine’s cousin shows up at the family restaurant in her coat and does a flasher move to show off the perfect bridesmaid dresses. All I could think of was
    “It burns; it burns!!” But yes, big bows are definitely a problem…

2. Claire February 11, 2008 at 11:36 am #

And it’s really a no-win situation with those bows: whether you’re well-endowed or completely flat-chested, a bow like that will emphasize it in the most unflattering way possible. I imagine butt bows have much the same effect.

And that scene from “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” is hilarious.

3. Lynn February 11, 2008 at 12:14 pm #

Maybe if you put the dress on backwards it would look better. :)

4. Twistie February 11, 2008 at 12:20 pm #

It takes a while to notice in the horror of the boob bow, but do you see what a freaking mess that hem is? Top to bottom, there is nothing about this dress that I like. She looks like she stepped through a dusty rose paper bag and tied the handles into a bow over her girls.

I don’t care what this monstrosity costs, it isn’t worth it.

But really, that hem is making me channel my inner Nina Garcia.

5. Pencils February 11, 2008 at 12:26 pm #

I like Saeyoung Vu, but that’s just an ugly dress all round. It’s all crumpled, and the hem is, what, supposed to be a bubble hem? It just looks like it’s not finished, that it’s been pinned but not pressed and sewn. I agree with Twistie, it looks like a trash bag that someone tied into a bow.

6. Melissa at MasterPiece Weddings February 11, 2008 at 1:41 pm #

I just feel the bow boob is so 80’s – I almost hear Wham in the background. Why add to the bump that is already there? Just a silly little fad.

7. Jennifer February 11, 2008 at 2:21 pm #

I hope its just a silly fad! They’ve been showing up on red carpets…Anne Hathaway last year, Sandra Oh more recently, yikes!

8. sterlingspider February 11, 2008 at 5:53 pm #

That looks like it’s been sitting on a closet floor since 1983.

9. Annie February 12, 2008 at 1:29 pm #

HIDEOUS!!!!

10. ready2spark February 17, 2008 at 3:33 pm #

Wow! I actually like this dress. Yes, I agree it needs a good pressing, but I like the balloon bottom and boob bow. Sorry.