LOVE/HATE: The abbreviated apparel edition

Teeny weenyItsy bitsyAnd itty bitty

Itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny yellow polkadot bikinis? I say, whatever floats your boat. Itty-bitty bridesmaids’ dresses? Er, I’m really not so keen on them. THREAD recently introduced a line of duchess satin mini dresses that I must presume are being marketed toward female wedding attendants.

I can’t say that they’re not cute — because they are — but I keep picturing them on waifish models strolling the streets of New York City. When I try to envision these dresses on bridesmaids, my brain rebels. Bridesmaids come in all shapes and sizes, but 95% of those shapes are sizes usually shy away from dresses that can be described as “mini.”

With the exception of the Carolyn style, they’re not THAT short, by which I mean they’re not “Central American short.” But are they wedding appropriate? And heres’s another thought: Why are they almost universally more expensive than the much more substantial duchess satin dresses on the site? I’d hoped they’d be slightly cheaper!

My verdict is that I like these frocks, but I wouldn’t ask my bridesmaids to wear them. HATE wins again, I suppose. What say you?

(Hey! There’s still time to enter the Manolo for the Brides Sweepstakes!)

10 Responses to “LOVE/HATE: The abbreviated apparel edition”

1. serenitynow78 says:

“central american short”???????

really?

2. C* says:

I agree.

3. I saw the shortest skirts I’ve ever seen when living in Costa Rica, serenitynow78. A lot of the time, there were bathing suit bottoms under those skirts, so it wasn’t really risky, but the skirts ticas and gringas alike wear are just plain SHORT there. I myself have such a skirt, but I’m too much of a sissy to wear it here in the States. When I’m back in Costa (or elsewhere in CA) I don’t feel as uncomfortable wearing it, oddly.

4. La BellaDonna says:

NtB, that’s because, when you’re roamin’, you’re wearing what the other folks roamin’ are wearing! And you know what they say …

5. Dianasaur says:

Oh my goodness, I have to come right out and say it, they’re just ugly! I mean, who really wants pockets on a mini skirt, are you going to keep your cell phone in there? As if mini skirts don’t emphasize your hips enough! I’m pretty thin, and I’d never wear any of those. Especially not at that price. Hah!

I’m just glad nobody asked me to wear a mini bridesmaid’s dress. Not my style. Though if a bride has bridesmaids who can pull it off and feel great wearing them…well, who am I to say no?

For the most part, though, I have to say I prefer bridesmaids dresses at least knee-length.

7. ladyjane says:

Oh, Lordie… I tried to imagine my poor bridesmaids in these dresses… two of them would be all legs, and the other one (so far) would be so very uncomfortable. Come to think of it, all of them would probably feel uncomfortable baring so much skin…

8. Moo says:

I wear skirts that short all the time? Most of the time shorter? They didn’t alarm me at all… But I am now a bit paranoid!

9. If it works for you, Moo, it works for you! There’s nothing wrong with an everyday short skirt — the question is whether they can be worked into weddings without causing an uproar 🙂