Sulu Takes a Spouse

Now that the California Supreme Court has ruled that same-sex couples have the right to marry, actor George Takei (best known as Sulu from original Star Trek and Hiro’s father on the hit series Heroes) has announced plans to marry his partner of twenty-one years, Brad Altman.

The couple, who met while working out in a running club, will marry on September 14, in the Democracy Forum at the Japanese National Museum in Los Angeles.

Altman proposed to Takei in the couple’s kitchen the day after the decision was handed down. Altman went down on one knee. Takei was eating a sandwich at the time. This was a surprise, since Takei was planning on doing the proposing. It’s also not the last surprise Altman had in store.

When they announced the engagement, a reporter asked what the grooms would wear for the ceremony. Altman said both would wear white tuxedoes, which seemed to catch Takei a bit off-guard. His response?

“Well, now that you’ve announced it on the air, I guess it’s settled.”

Ceremony details released thus far include the fact that Takei’s Star Trek alumni friends Walter Koenig (Chekov) and Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) will both be in the wedding party and Leonard Nimoy (Spock) will be in attendance. William Shatner (Captain Kirk), however, is not invited.

George, Brad, I know it’s probably been said far too many times already, but this long-time Trekkie just has to say it: Live Long and Prosper!

8 Responses to “Sulu Takes a Spouse”

1. Just what is the likelihood that TWO sci-fi geeks would have ended up part of the Manolo family? 🙂

George Takei is awesome — I wish him all the best!

And what are the odds that we’d have ended up writing on the same blog? Whatever they are, I’m glad it worked out this way.

George Takei is, indeed, a most awesome individual. I wish him and his soon-to-be-groom every happiness.

3. Jennie says:

Trekkers Unite!! This is a long time coming for a beautiful man (whose baritone voice is sexy and beautiful!). It’s been worse than the 7 year Pon Faar! It is time that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one… Blessings on you both George and Brad. Please accept one hetero’s apologies for the treatment you and your loved one has endured by the small minded. Love is love.

4. daisyj says:

This non-Trekkie must know, why shun the Shat? Was there a spat?

5. La BellaDonna says:

Awwwww … I’m so happy for them! Such a long wait! I have, believe me, painful sympathy for that.

In all the futures that Sulu helped build, I wonder if George Takei ever envisioned a future where marrying the person he truly loved would be possible?

It actually makes me feel a little hopeful for the rest of the future.

Daisyj, I have read various stories that lead me to believe that William Shatner wasn’t appreciated nearly as much by his fellow actors as he was by William Shatner. Shatner has, I believe, both matured and mellowed since those days, but it wouldn’t surprise me to find out that a special occasion for Shatner’s erstwhile co-workers might be rendered even more special by Shatner’s absence.

6. Little Red says:

Another Trekkie beaming in to say how happy I am.

7. Jennie says:

Daisy, Shat was a Shit while filming the series. His ego encompassed 5 galaxies. He alienated everyone involved. He has since mellowed but the harm has already been done. Maybe some serious contriteness would go far with the rest of the crew but that has not been forthcoming. To quote Kathy Griffin, he is now one of my favorite overweight old booze bags but in his prime he was an egomanical asshole.

La BellaDonna, as always, you put that far more gracefully than most either could or would.