Two gowns of note

What does £240,000 of wedding gown look like? A little something like this, apparently:

Some gals dedication a huge slice of the budget to their day-of frocks. This is a dress for brides-to-be for whom money is no object! It was designed by Mauro Adami, who — according to the Daily Mail — once made Keith Richards a platinum jacket.

Wait, wait, wait. Is that an impressive credential? No matter. The gown, which I personally do not find particularly attractive, was crafted from fabric spun from threads of silk and platinum. That may sound pricey, but it’s actually not actually the MOST expensive wedding gown in the WORLD. Take, for example, the diamond-encrusted $12 million gown created by jeweler Martin Katz and dressmaker Renee Strauss!

What is it with blah (or even bleah) wedding gowns that cost more than my house? Personally, I’d much rather have Jerry Hall’s white lace Anthony Price wedding dress:

The former model put a whole mess of her clothing up on the auction block to benefit Emmaus . Sure, this frock a little dated, but all-in-all still serviceable. The best part? It was only expected to fetch around £400. How’s that for reasonable!

11 Responses to “Two gowns of note”

1. Melissa B. says:

Is it just me, or is the first dress not properly fitted on the bride? It looks like it’s falling off her shoulders. Call me fussy, but if I had hundreds of thousands of dollars/pounds and decided to spend it on a custom-made gown, I’d expect my incredibly expensive custom-made gown to fit me perfectly.

2. Annalucia says:

Perhaps Melissa is correct and the gown ought to be better fitted. Other than that, the Annalucia loves it. She is happy to see sleeves on a bridal gown, and the color delights her, and even the style is kinder to those of imperfect figure than the dress of the Jerry Hall.

I think what I’m disliking about the first gown is the table-clothiness of the lacy parts. They just look very heavy without the brilliant sculptural quality of some of the great needle laces of history. I agree with the Annalucia about the more forgiving cut of the gown (though it’s very unforgiving to those of us sadly lacking in shoulderosity) and the color, which I’m sure is far more shimmery and spectacular in person. It’s just I can’t look at the lace without thinking ‘look, it’s Grandma’s tablcloth repurposed!’

4. Pencils says:

The dress is a bit too big for the model, but I do like it. It’s a real princess dress, and I rather like the color, although it would make me look gray. But it’s a style of dress that could flatter nearly anyone.

5. Donna says:

I like the dress, but for that amount of money I’m thinking I should like it a little more.

6. daisyj says:

At first I didn’t see the 2, and I thought, “Huh, eighty grand, that’s a lot of money for a dress.” Then I reread it and I think my brain seized up. Still, I imagine this is more the sort of thing that gets made to drum up publicity for the designer, rather than what anybody realistically expects someone to pay.

7. Roya says:

I think that is actually a really gorgeous wedding dress, I’ve seen that sort of material before, platinum silk, and it is really pretty stuff, that needs that sort of structure. Usually these super expensive noelty dresses are super tacky and covered with tons of diamonds or gilded. This one I could actually wear and maybe even want to wear, even if I think I am a little short for it.

8. You know, I think you gals are spot on when you say that the main problem with the gown is that it’s hanging off the model like a potato sack. The style is actually quite similar to the gown I wore, but it just looks so blah in the picture. Perhaps Mauro Adami needs to hire some larger models? How refreshing a thought!

After reading Roya’s comment above, I am keen on seeing a bit of this platinum silk in person because it doesn’t come off very well in photographs.

9. raincoaster says:

It’s a nice enough dress, but quite unremarkable. If I’m going to spend the price of a house on a dress (checks lottery tickets…nope, not going to be spending the price of a house on a dress any time soon) I would like it to be more memorable. I don’t care if it stops bullets and makes you invisible to radar. I don’t need technology in a wedding dress. I just need something that makes me look beautiful and lasts at least through the reception.

10. raincoaster says:

Oh. and Jerry Hall’s dress comes with a free curse! No wonder it’s cheap!

11. Talisha says:

I love both of these wedding gowns, but I’m kinda obsessed with the top one.