LOVE/HATE: the gender equality edition

If you want to tell the world that either you or your spouse is a dedicated commitmentphobe, there’s no shortage of cake toppers that will help you do just that. Perhaps you had to carry your man to the altar? Or reel him in with a fly fisherman’s gentle touch? Are you ready to choke him for waiting for so long?

Notice a trend? In case it doesn’t jump right out at you, I’ll spell it out: It’s always the poor little plastic groom that’s being dragged around, forced into matrimony, or even physically injured!

Thank goodness for Archie McPhee, right? Finally, someone is manufacturing a tacky cake topper for those heterosexual couples in which it’s the lady-half who isn’t quite ready to say “I do.”

As you probably already have guessed, I HATE it, but that’s because I generally hate all cake toppers that aren’t something kooky like Matchbox racers or action figures. I’m kind of enamored with the notion that someone thinks there is enough of a demand for guy-dragging-girl toppers. At least they’re ready to admit that not all men secretly want to stay swingin’ single and not all women are frothing at the bit to get married.

Is this what modern-day gender equality looks like? Yeesh!

14 Responses to “LOVE/HATE: the gender equality edition”

1. La Petite Acadienne says:

I just hate ANY cake toppers with the notion that one of the parties had to be “dragged” to the aisle. I’ve never been to a wedding with one of those on the cake, but if I did, I’d be very uncomfortable — it would make me think, “Okay, so one half of the happy couple would really have rather not gotten married. Uhh…let’s toast to that…?”

2. Kristen says:

I’m with La Petite Acadienne. Those things make me cringe, no matter who the reluctant party is.

3. LadyKate says:

If I went to a wedding and the bride and groom had one of these cake toppers, I’d wonder how long the marriage would last. Hmmm, I’ve got something to research if I ever go back to school again!

4. BK says:

I guess the reason the expressions are always so confounding and inexplicable on these little plastic guys is that no one is quite sure what expression a bride-dragging groom SHOULD have.

These creep me out either way, but the fact that there are still places in the world where women are sometimes literally forced into marriages makes this even worse.

Still, either way, there’s no excuse. Just. Not. Funny.

6. daisyj says:

Considering that Archie McPhee is the interbunny’s leading retailer of gag items (spark-spitting wind-up nuns, anyone?), I am going to guess that this item is not really intended to be put on a cake; it might actually be a joke on those woman-catching-a-man toppers. Still, that’s not to say some humor-impaired couple won’t run with it. . .

7. Michigal says:

It’s certainly a new spin on cake toppers that’s for sure. Although I’d hate to see it on a wedding cake, it could be fun at the bride’s last night out party!

8. KateC says:

I think it would be funny but anyone that really didn’t know you well enough to know that you were just having joke might think the woman/man is a little scary.

9. blablover5 says:

I actually just saw one called Runaway bride, where the groom is standing on her dress while she’s trying to make a break for it.

And it was a real cake topper.

10. delphine says:

Hi !!

Where can We find these cake toppers? What’s the brand??

11. delphine: Just click the pic to be taken to the page where you can buy the topper from the Archie McPhee catalog!

12. eve says:

I think it´s funny and besides no one is forced to get marry, i got to see one of those in my cousin wedding and it was because she thought she was never going to get married, it was not in her plans and she was like 30 somenthing so she prefer just living together and her boyfriend did want to get married so after talking to her for some time she said yes.

13. m Andrea says:

For thousands of years western men did not allow women to have a job outside the home or to own property, so a female’s only meal ticket depended upon trapping a man into marriage. Trust men to control the rules and then make fun of women for playing by those rules. So the narrative became “women were evil man-trappers and men were the noble heros who rescued women from poverty”.

Now the narrative is “anyone who points out just how bad men suck must be evil” because — get this — universal patterns of abuse and constant victim-blaming are clearly irrelevant and we should only measure the amount of harm men do to women by measuring the amount of nice guys. Which is why everyone says “but my dood isn’t like that!” whenever the subject is man-suckage; and thus concludes our lesson for today.

14. Yady says:

I don’t see anything wrong with it. If the figures were a little neater I would buy it and use it for our cake topper!