It wasn’t a tearful bride who fell apart at the altar

…it was her dress.

The Telegraph tells of a bride who inadvertently mooned her guests on her big day when her designer gown came apart at the seams.

The woman is claiming damages of £20,000 from the designer, who was not named but is based at Rapallo, twenty miles from Chiavari.

Everyone has a bad day — even clothing designers — but that’s no excuse when the gown in question cost £2,000. In a day and age where one can buy a $125 wedding day frock, you shouldn’t have to do a pre-wedding safety tug on the stitching holding together a four-thousand dollar dress!

What kind of recourse do you have if you suffer a similar fate? Demanding your money back is a must. If you’re looking for retribution, a lawsuit is pretty much the only option available to you unless you have five burly brothers who are scheduled to be re-admitted to prison so what’s one more offense? You could also ask the designer for some freebies…but you may not want to wear said clothing for fear it will once again leave you exposed.

Those are, of course, your long term options. In the short term, I’d recommend stopping the ceremony — which it appears the bride in question chose not to do — to fix things up as best you can. Sewing kits are an integral part of almost every wedding day emergency kit, which means you can ask someone handy with a needle and thread to sew you in. If necessary, make a joke about “wardrobe malfunctions” to let everyone know you’re not dying inside. Before the ceremony, make a mad dash to your house or the nearest department store to find a suitable something.

It’s not an optimal solution set, but it will keep you from baring your bottom to the world!

8 Responses to “It wasn’t a tearful bride who fell apart at the altar”

1. Roya says:

I think finishing the ceremony is more important than the dress, from the accounts I read it seems that the dress fell apart in pieces.
    What are you going to do? Get a new dress and have the wedding later? what if some other couple has already booked that day? If the priest chose to continue you might as well continue as well

I certainly wish the couple all the best, and they certainly deserve that sort of compensation from the dressmakers. but if they make a go of it and have kids, there will be plenty of more “most important days” in their lives.

2. Great tips about keeping a sewing kit on hand and making light of the situation with a few jokes. Many brides these days opt to change into another dress for the reception – might not be a bad idea as a back-up plan!

Shannon
    The Virtual Bridesmaid

3. Melissa B. says:

I agree that the couple will have plenty of other special moments, but to be honest I don’t think the bride is overreacting. If I had paid $4,000 for a piece of clothing that *actually fell apart* while I was standing in front of a bunch of people, you can be darn sure I’d expect the company to give every penny of my money back, and if the company did not want to give me my money back, I would be very tempted to hire a lawyer. I wouldn’t expect that kind of shoddy craftsmanship from a $500 David’s Bridal gown, let alone the kind of gown this woman bought.

But if that woman has already separated from her husband, it sounds like she has bigger problems …

I’m with you, Melissa B. If I spend good money on a garment, I expect it to do its job: cover my nakedness for at least a few wearings. If I spend thousands of dollars on a piece of clothing that’s only going to be worn once, it had damn well better survive the one and only expected wearing beyond a fitting room. Okay, if I’m wearing it for the running of the bulls in Pamplona…maybe I won’t worry about how it holds up, but if the only time I wear it, it can’t survive standing still and listening to someone speak, then I’ve been ripped off. If the sellers do not compensate me, then I will sue. I don’t sue people, but $4,000 to stand there with my gown slowly doing a striptease against my will in front of my nearest and dearest and the most important people in the life of my new spouse? That’s not okay by any stretch of the imagination.

But I also agree that someone who winds up separated from said new spouse that quickly might just have an even bigger problem with things unraveling than one wretchedly bad sewing job.

The entire episode, though, does give a painfully clear example of why it’s important to know what a good, strong seam looks like even if you can’t sew one yourself. When your gown is handed over to you, don’t be afraid to take a good look at the workmanship before you accept delivery.

5. La BellaDonna says:

I packed a sewing kit for my brother’s wedding. I made the dress for the bride, and didn’t really expect much difficulty with it structurally – but I DID get a chance to use the dry-clean tissues I had packed, because as the bride emerged from the limousine, the wind blew her skirt back against something black and oily! Scrub scrub scrub, and she looked just fine. I did wind up putting a few stitches into nearly every bridesmaid, for one reason or another.

Back in the day, I did run into some problems with my husband’s outfit for my own wedding. I had made his outfit as well as my own, and there were many tiny pearl buttons fastening the trouser front. All summer long, as I worked on fittings, button up; unbutton. Button up; unbutton. No problems. On the wedding day, as he started to button the trousers, every single pearl head pulled off the shank of the button. The shanks themselves stayed securely in place, stitched on with an eye to surviving possible hurricanes, tornadoes and atomic explosions. The buttons themselves, apparently, were not quite so well-made.

Thanks to some well-placed safety pins, we were able to continue with the ceremony and the rest of the day, and later on, the buttons were replaced with one-piece molded buttons.

So, a note to brides who are using pearl-headed, or pearl-style buttons: if the buttons are made in two pieces, that is, the button looks a pearl attached to a metal loop, you may want to rethink the button style, unless the dress is under no strain where it buttons. If the button needs to be able to hold pretty firmly, you may be better off with a molded, one-piece button (that is, the loop that is sewin through is molded and made as part of the entire button).

The sewing kit, however, is an utter necessity, and should contain safety-pins in different sizes, as well as pre-threaded needles in white, ivory, bridesmaid and tuxedo colours.

6. La BellaDonna says:

And that would be “loop that is SEWN through”, because spelling is of the good.

I was so distracted by the memory of my own wedding day disasterlette that I forgot to mention: My wedding dress coming apart? I would hunt down the dressmaker, and it would not be pretty when I found her. I would also sue the everlivin’ daylights out of her.

7. Val says:

Ouch.
    I don’t think she’s overreacting. On your wedding day your dress falls apart? That’s a nightmare. Like the dream where you show up somewhere important and look down and you’re naked or in your undies? Only it happened to this girl.
    Sure, there’ll be other great moments, but she was cheated out of this one and paid four thousand pounds for it. She’d have to be crazy not to sue.

Those are some great tips and I’m sure a lot of ladies haven’t thought of em. I hadn’t. I’ve never had any piece of clothing fall apart on me. That’s just horrible. I hadn’t even thought of something like this happening. When I get married, I’m definitely gonna have a sewing kit handy (and lots of safety pins).