Man Showers? I’m Thinking a Lot of Duct Tape!

No, not a lot of duct tape like that, you pervs. I mean there will probably be a lot of duct tape on the man registry* that will precede what some are calling the newest trend in weddings, the man shower. Googling “man showers” — see what I do for you? — brings up plenty of results, which could indeed point to a growing trend. EXCEPT that almost all of the results lead to a single AP article reprinted in papers across the U.S.

The gift-laden dude you see above is Brian Wigand, whose FFIL Jonathan Morris welcomed him into the family by throwing him a man shower as a warm up to, not a substitute for, the traditional bachelor party.

“It seemed like there was a lot of hoopla for the ladies and not too much for the guys,” said Morris of Maple Valley, Wash. “It was really fun, male bonding.”

The males of the Morris family played some football and some Rock Band, threw back some drinks, and generally chilled out. Wigand recently helped plan a man shower for another future groom, and attendees “ate from old license plates, participated in a nail pounding contest and were judged on how manly they wrapped their gifts.” Other dudes get gifty, too, like those of the Dekker family who shower the groom-to-be with tools “wrapped” in the store’s plastic bag.

Personally, I’m all for man showers, the same way I’m all for co-ed showers if that’s the sort of thing you’re into. Man showers are a way for guys to include older relatives like dads and grandpas in some of the pre-wedding festivities when they’re uncomfortable with the notion of inviting their FFIL to a bachelor party. Gifts or no gifts, there’s nothing cooler than getting all your friends and family together for a good time, right?

Need another reason to like man showers? Rush Limbaugh haaaaaates them.

In a truly pathetic news story, this is deeply troubling. We have been talking recently on this program about the chickification of American culture, the feminization of American universities, the chickification of the news business. From the Associated Press, this a story by Melissa Dutton, and this is about man showers.

This is what did it for me in this story: “‘Men also are recognizing that showers are a great way to acquire tools and other necessities needed to maintain a home,’ said Abby Buford,” another woman, “spokeswoman for Lowe’s Home Improvement stores, which launched an online wedding registry in 2006.” So the purpose of the man shower is to teach men how to do housecleaning.

I don’t know about you, but that’s not the impression I got at all. How Limbaugh could deem guys drinking, playing Rock Band, and giving the groom-to-be tools as girly is beyond me.

*Or not — The Beard’s man registry would likely have included a ton of fancy cooking implements and studio equipment.

7 Responses to “Man Showers? I’m Thinking a Lot of Duct Tape!”

1. Melissa B. August 27, 2008 at 1:10 pm #

Rush is probably just upset because he knows that if anyone ever invited him to a man shower, he’d lose the nail-pounding contest. Also, since when is Lowe’s Home Improvement a housecleaning store?

2. Twistie August 27, 2008 at 1:41 pm #

Is anyone else as grossed out as I am by the thought of eating off of old licese plates? And Mr. Twistie would probably be paralyzed with horror if confronted with that concept.

As far as I’m concerned, if women can have bachelorette parties, men can have all the showers they like…but it doesn’t sound like much of a trend to me if there’s one, lone example that everyone is referring to. Once is an oddity. It takes a whole lot more than that to make a trend.

3. blablover5 August 27, 2008 at 1:45 pm #

I think that it makes more sense to have co-ed showers. After all you’re both getting married why should one gender or the other have their own parties.

4. Dynamite Weddings August 28, 2008 at 11:38 am #

I think most men would love a man shower, but how many soon-to-be grooms have a friend willing to throw them a “shower”? Not many. Men have man showers now, but all their friends bring are meats to BBQ and beer. Maybe that’s why we don’t hear about them. Does that count?

5. Twistie August 28, 2008 at 12:07 pm #

I don’t know, Dynamite Weddings, that sounds more like a potluck barbeque than a shower to me. If the guest of honor isn’t ‘showered’ with gifts, how can it be a shower?

Perhaps it will become a trend, but it doesn’t sound much like it is one already from where I’m sitting.

I kind of have to go with blablover5 overall. One shower for both makes more sense than separate showers for each. After all, most of the things given at showers are for both, anyway, in the longrun. Even if he doesn’t care what pattern the plates are, he’ll be eating off them, and even if she has no clue what the thread count on the sheets is, she’ll still be sleeping in them. Same with tools. If she’s the plumber and he’s the gardener – or vice versa – both of them will reap the benefits of having the correct tools for both purposes.

Shower/wedding gifts are really about setting up a household. Why not give them to both parties at both parties?

In the end, though, it’s really up to the honor attendants which parties are thrown in what manner for which member of the wedding. A guy can hint in either direction, but it’s ultimately up to his honor attendant whether or not he gets a shower.

6. The Virtual Bridesmaid August 28, 2008 at 12:15 pm #

I think a man shower could be fun for the guys!

Shannon
    The Virtual Bridesmaid

7. BunnyBlue August 29, 2008 at 10:03 pm #

I get a roll of duct tape every year for both my birthday and christmas . I made a duct tape prom dress and have made everything from pants to wallets to safety vests for my dog ^-^. I’m sure Duct tape will appear at my bridal shower too .

I think a Man Shower is a great idea , equal op.s and all that jazz!!