A Tweetheart Proposal

As far as unusual proposals go, Sean Bonner may receive the latest unusual proposal prize for asking his girlfriend Tara Brown to marry him over Twitter.

Twitter proposal

Most people seem to think that this is a fine way to propose in these tech-oriented times, though there are some online detractors who have not hesitated to call these tweethearts twits. Positive comments on blogs call the proposal original, romantic, geeky in a good way, and fun. Negative comments on other blogs call the proposal impersonal, lame, shallow, banal, and boring.

Me? I’m guessing that Sean knows Tara and would not have popped the question over Twitter if he thought it would ruin his chances of a positive response.

Tara’s own response backs that up:

Asking me over Twitter was probably the most adorable, amazing, dorky, hilarious and appropriate move Sean could have made.

One of the main problems people seem to have with this particular proposal is the fact that it was so public, but how is it any different than getting gown on one knee on the jumbotron at a sports arena? I think if it works for Sean and Tara, awesome, and I look forward to reading more about their space pirate, space ninja, space zombie wedding!

14 Responses to “A Tweetheart Proposal”

1. blablover5 October 13, 2008 at 11:02 am #

I remember a few years back when a guy had joined a message board his then girlfriend frequented and asked her to marry him.

I think that was a bit more practical (as well as had good English grammar) than the twitter plan. But I guess whatever works for them.

2. Twistie October 13, 2008 at 11:24 am #

You know, I hate Jumbotron proposals, too…but it clearly works for some people.

My style? No way. BUT, Sean knows his girl best, and this clearly made her happy. I know plenty of women who would have left their men had they gotten the sort of proposal I got from Mr. Twistie, but it worked for us. In the longrun, that’s what matters.

Though I must admit my heart sinks at the spelling and grammar.

Yes, I am a snob about a few things. I’m at peace with that fact.

3. Maggie October 13, 2008 at 11:32 am #

My take? Super lame. I would have been livid to be proposed to in such a public and text-speaky way. I mean, don’t people freak out about IM/text breakups? How is this any different?

But she seems really happy about it, and that’s what counts.

4. Melissa B. October 13, 2008 at 11:45 am #

It’s OK, Twistie. I’m a grammar snob too. I flat-out refuse to spend any time on MySpace, Twitter, or most message boards because of it.

But congratulations to Tara and Sean! I hope they ignore the naysayers, this was clearly an adorable and meaningful proposal for the two of them, and that’s all that matters.

5. Toni October 13, 2008 at 2:04 pm #

I have two friends who are both huge World Of Warcraft fans, and he had his little avatar go up to her avatar in the game and propose that way. And she said yes.

6. talda October 13, 2008 at 5:15 pm #

proposals are personal so no one will ever agree. some people might find the standard “on bended knee” to be incredibly banal and boring as well. obviously sean knows his fiancee the best and proposed accordingly, just like everyone else does. thank goodness there isn’t one way to do things!

as far as jumbotron proposals goes, as much as i love sports, i told my bf that when our time comes to not propose to me during a game. i don’t like my romance mucking up my sports. besides, i hardly pay attention to things that occur off the field of play unless there’s a break of some sort and, knowing me, i’d just be irritated that he interrupted me. and restaurant proposals are out as well. i trust that he’d come up with the perfect plan for us. and even if it’s just us sitting on the couch playing video games, that’d be great and totally us. and that’s what matters.

7. Sloan October 13, 2008 at 5:35 pm #

OMFG! NFW!

Gag.

losers.

8. Tizzy October 13, 2008 at 8:15 pm #

I wouldn’t want that proposal but if she was happy with it then that’s what matters.

9. Twistie October 13, 2008 at 9:02 pm #

I’m so with you, Talda. What matters is that it’s meaningful to the people involved.

For the record, if Mr. Twistie had gone down on one knee, asked my father for permission, or shown up diamond ring in hand, he might well be a single man today. A lot of people wouldn’t find his proposal to me romantic in the least. There were no huge displays of hearts and flowers, no production numbers, no ring in hand…pretty much none of the trappings. It happened in an all night diner while we waited for a very late after theater meal.

But he showed that he had really thought about it by picking the date and basing it on: my favorite number, the fact that he knew I wanted an outdoor wedding, and the amount of time it would take me to make the lace for my wedding gown. Knowing he’d considered the things that were important to me is what made it romantic.

Romance isn’t one particular act. It’s about finding what’s meaningful to that other person and acting on their tastes and priorities.

I may not be much thrilled by poor grammar and text abbreviations, but if that’s what makes the lady happy, then I say more power to them and their space pirate wedding!

10. Stephanie October 14, 2008 at 5:41 am #

I never thought I’d enjoy a public proposal, but my guy new better. He proposed at LAX when I picked him up after he’d been in New Zealand for 3 months. It turned out to be perfect. It just goes to show you that the couple knows what’s best for them.

11. De October 14, 2008 at 8:27 am #

It is fascinating to me that along with the instant-messaging (or IM’ing) subculture that has sprung up thanks to the internet, so too has a language: IMSpeak or NetSpeak. Spelling isn’t as enforced/required, and in fact, sometimes a ‘creative’ spelling is favored over traditional. (And it doesn’t happen just with English either…)

One of the reasons this new language took off was because often IMs and Tweets (the messages sent on Twitter) must be under a certain character length. This means that messages need to be clear but only in so much space – brevity and clarity became more important than eloquence or accuracy.

Also, once you are hip deep in the subculture (as I am) you become accustomed to the cadence of the language. I didn’t find anything strange or wrong with the messages above – “hellzzzz yeah” and “w00t” are standard online exclamations of joy and affirmation; “IRL” is a standard online acronym (and has been for at least 15 years)…

I think that, given that these two obviously have a connection over Twitter, that this was incredibly sweet. He chose a venue and method he knew she’d appreciate. This same girl probably wouldn’t have wanted a romantic dinner at home or a proposal in the street, for example. Because he knows her best, he shows her by proposing in a way that makes her happiest.

Would I want to be proposed to over Twitter? No. Maybe over Livejournal or via his blog (the boyfriend’s), or an email group would be sweet. But I also like the idea of a public proposal. *shrug* I’m not embarrassed easy and I’m proud of our love – so if a billion people see it, I don’t mind. :D

12. JR October 14, 2008 at 3:04 pm #

I really want to go to a space-themed wedding now. I will go as Zoe from Firefly, best space western ever.

13. Judith George October 16, 2008 at 6:47 am #

I have to admit I love Twitter. We’ve all gotten so used to quick text messages and planning dates without even speaking to one another – maybe this is just another by-product. But when it comes to matters of the heart – I’d rather be able to kiss the man that just asked me to marry him.

14. JaneC October 19, 2008 at 9:42 pm #

I think proposals like this are sweet…provided the person doing the proposing knows that the proposed-to will appreciate it, and that there is a pretty good chance of being accepted. You wouldn’t want to be rejected because your intended did not appreciate the manner of the proposal, or didn’t want to get married, and then have it become an internet meme.

JR–I want to go to a space-themed wedding too. I’ll go as Kaylee.