This Suit is Meant to Suit Whom, Exactly?

I’ve been poking around Oscar de la Renta‘s Spring 2009 bridal collection recently and, more often than not, I’m absolutely blown away by what I see. There are gorgeous, chic long wedding gowns and pretty, feminine short wedding dresses. Playful accents like belt buckles, big bows, and blossoms made of silk and lace give the collection character that might otherwise be lacking. Overall, the wedding gowns and dresses that appeared in the runway show are right up my ally.

The single bridal pantsuit included in the collection, however, is most decidedly not.

bridal_pantsuit

I cannot think of a single person in my life who would look good in this white silk bridal pantsuit. Heck, the runway model doesn’t even look particularly good…especially when viewed from the back. That could explain the expression on the model’s face — if I were asked to walk the runway in this suit, I’d look a tad pissy, too.

7 Responses to “This Suit is Meant to Suit Whom, Exactly?”

1. Melissa B. says:

Ugh! The word “frumptastic” comes to mind. The fabric of the slacks looks stiff and that shapeless jacket is awful. And I usually love Oscar de la Renta! Ah well, we all have our minor slips.

2. Bingo, Melissa B. My first though upon seeing this suit was “Golden Girls.”

3. blablover5 says:

Looks like a little kid playing dress up in grandma’s pj’s to me.

I actually think it might not have been so dire had it been made in a more flowing fabric. The stiffness of the fabric really makes it a lot worse than it needed to be.

I still don’t think it would do much for me, but at least I might be able to see someone wanting to wear it because then it would look comfortable, if not particularly pretty.

5. rabrab says:

It’s an interesting start.

But the model is too tiny for it (look at the way the boobal area is collapsing in on itself — some padding would make it look much better.) And her half-assed falling-out ponytail isn’t helping — that’s what my ponytail looks like when I roll out of bed in the morning. Neither is her coloring — there’s no color anywhere — not her eyes, not her lips, not her cheeks, not even her skin or hair. It’s just completely washed out. And she’s scowling and apparently in mid-stomp.

Oops, I looked at it more closely; she does have some blush on — in two streaks, like someone’s just pinched her cheeks. Looking at the whole collection, all the models are made-up that way, but the girl is far and away the palest of all of them.

6. Toni says:

The jacket is cute, and the pants wouldn’t be so bad if they didn’t have those prominent creases. I think the outfit would be *really* cute if the pants were replaced with a simple A-line or pencil skirt.

7. Emi!y says:

I think I like the individual pieces better than the suit together, but it’s not really awful. I just can’t imagine wearing a suit that casual unless you’re getting married an hour after work (as, I admit, a pretty chic photographer or fashion editor or something).