Interdimensional Marriage

No, I’m not talking about holding a Star Trek or Star Wars themed wedding. No, I’m not even talking about holding a Battlestar Gallactica or Dr. Who wedding. I don’t have a problem if you want to get married in full Narn battle regalia or recite your vows in perfect Elvish, or even if you choose to be married by Zaphod Beeblebrox. I will even admit a certain fondness for somewhat geeky choices like that, even though I didn’t go that route myself.

There’s a guy in Japan, however, who has taken the concept to an extreme.

Taichi Takashita has started a petition asking the government to allow marriages with cartoon characters. Not only that, inside of a week he had over a thousand signatures on that petition. Takashita claims that he has no further interest in the three-dimensional world and would like to become a resident of the two-dimensional world.

“However, that seems impossible with present-day technology. Therefore, at the very least, would it be possible to legally authorise marriage with a two-dimensional character?”

Since, in keeping with his campaign not to exist on this plane, he included no contact details whatsoever, it seems impossible to get in touch to ask whether he is truly serious in his desire to marry a cartoon character.

Whether or not Takashita is serious, though, some of the folks signing his petition clearly are:

“For a long time I have only been able to fall in love with two-dimensional people and currently I have someone I really love,” one person wrote.

“Even if she is fictional, it is still loving someone. I would like to have legal approval for this system at any cost,” the person wrote.

Here at Manolo for the Brides, we are very much in favor of marriage equality…but only with adult, legally competant partners who are able to express clearly their willingness to enter into matrimony with the partner who has chosen him/her. I seriously doubt that an anime character can do that.

If someone wants a Crayon Shin-chan themed wedding, though, well, as long as they don’t do it in the streets and scare the horses, that’s fine by me.

8 Responses to “Interdimensional Marriage”

1. Fabrisse says:

Dearie, dearie me.

On the plus side, having a Discworld themed wedding (no, I haven’t, I’d just kind of like to — with Vetinari presiding) seems less outre.

2. blablover5 says:

^ If you do have a discworld wedding though you better make sure to invite Nanny or trouble could happen.

And I’d be scared of having Zaphod perform the ceremony, he’d probably run away with the bride and a few bridesmaids.

Fabrisse: I second the call for Nanny to be invited. Also, keep in mind she will probably bring Greebo whether you want him there or not.

blablover5: And all the booze.

4. un-bride says:

Forgive me for being (too?) serious, but I think this kind of thing cheapens the stuggle of people who are fighting for same-sex marriage rights & the like. (Hi, I live in California, and I’m disgusted with my state.) Either that, or it’s just a public display of serious psych issues on a massive scale.

5. Roya says:

I kind of like Lois’s dress in the link.

6. Melissa B. says:

“Either that, or it’s just a public display of serious psych issues on a massive scale.”

That was kind of my take, un-bride — the idea that there are people so emotionally damaged that they can only be attracted to anime characters, and instead of seeking help they are seeking the right to “marry” a two-dimensional drawing, is pretty depressing. (My personal guess? “Takashita” is an anime producer/animator who’s sick of weirdo fan mail asking permission to marry his creations!)

7. Putting aside the fact that I’d like to marry Doctor Who, I have to agree with un-bride on this one.

Oh I’m absolutely agreed!

Also, I’m totally snagging Nine. Which Doctor do you want?