Sweet Endings for Sweet Beginnings

So…my article last week on whether or not people eat cake at weddings has produced an overwhelming response to the effect that cake (or at least dessert) is important to our readers. In fact, it ran about the way I expected: a couple of people who will pass if the quality isn’t up to snuff, one or two people mentioned allergies that make cake eating in public a bit dicey to say the least, someone didn’t have much of a sweet tooth, several who weren’t picky about whether cake was there so long as dessert was offered…and the rest all wanted their cake and to eat it out loud and proud.

You, in short, are a crowd after my own heart.

But now I’m kind of curious about something, and I’d like to ask you another question:

In an ideal world where you could have anything you liked (price and availability no object, no familial or cultural expectations to be upheld no matter what you prefer) what dessert would you serve at the end of your wedding meal? Would you stick with cake (and do tell us what kind so we can drool, too!) or go for something else? Would you go all out on one dessert or provide a variety? Links to bakeries, recipes, and photos welcome, but do remember that they may throw your comments into moderation until I or NtB get a chance to sort through the spamcatcher.

To get the ball rolling, here’s what I would have done had there been absolutely no holds barred: I loved our homemade fruit tarts, and would absolutely have kept them. I probably would have added a chocolate layer cake, too, because I do adore my chocolate. If I could have found a way to work hazelnuts and raspberries into the cake, I absolutely would have done it (and it’s not like that would have been a problem to achieve). Then I probably would have added in a batch or two of my father’s shortbread. So tasty and easier for people who have allergies (heck, the only things in there were flour, sugar, and butter!). If I were doing it today, I’d probably also add some sort of vegan fruit-only goodie, just in case. Yes, there would have been a lot of sweet things left over, but as several people pointed out in the replies to my original post, leftovers can be divvied up and enjoyed later. If you run out before guests are satisfied, that’s an unforgivable breech of hospitality. In the world of party food, too much is always better than too little.

So tell me, what would be your wedding dessert in an ideal world?

12 Responses to “Sweet Endings for Sweet Beginnings”

1. LPC says:

I think I’d go for several Best In Shows, i.e. the perfect hot apple pie, the perfect ice cream sundae, the perfect chocolate cake with strawberries and whipped cream, the perfect pieces of ripe fruit, and the perfect citrus something, plus a whole bunch of designer chocolates and mints to finish it off.

2. lexi says:

if cost & availability was no option, I think I’d go for a full dessert spread including wedding cake (even though I find most icing on wedding cakes to be a bit too sweet), british fruit cake (the type that’s covered in marzipan & royal icing), fruit & jam tarts, handmade truffles & chocolates, chocolate fountain with various fruits & other sweets, moreish which is a dessert my aunt makes with chocolate, shortbread & caramel, some kind of pie (probably key-lime since that’s my favourite) and pretty much anything else that sounded/looked appealing … yeah, i’d go the whole hog- forget the dinner, just give me dessert! lmao.

3. Cassie says:

I would have cake. Big, glorious, delicious cake. Lemon or just plain yellow, with cream cheese frosting. There would also be a selection of pies (in part because I know my SO prefers pie to cake, and in part because . . . pie is awesome), lemon meringue, apple, pecan, and chocolate cream. And ice cream, and a fruit sorbet – I have friends who are veggie, and I don’t want them to feel left out cause of what might have gotten thrown into the crusts/cake/ice cream.

Of course, I am a dessert junkie, lol.

4. Is it silly to say that my ideal wedding dessert was the one we had? Sure, I would not have minded adding a sundae bar and a candy buffet and some alternative sweets, but our cake (three tiers: key lime, peach spice, and a nut torte) was fantastic. So fantastic, in fact, that we ended up eating the leftovers for dinner two nights in a row after the wedding!

5. Melissa B. says:

Oh, this is easy: my fiance’s mother makes the most amazing pecan pie in the world. So amazing, in fact, that my fiance flat-out will not eat pecan pie made with any other recipe because he says it never measures up. If we could somehow persuade my FMIL to bake enough pecan pies for 150 people, that would be our ideal wedding dessert. (You can see why this is a bit of a pipe dream!)

Alternately, my dream dessert buffet would have strawberry cheesecake, blueberry bread pudding with creme Anglaise, chocolate eclairs, lemon meringue pie, pecan pie, lemon cake with raspberry filling, and chocolate marble cake with chocolate filling. I guess I could still do it, but it sounds like a lot of work, and we’re pretty happy with our cake choices 🙂

6. 7nina says:

I’d have a cake because the sweetie likes cake, but I’d also have a crepe station an ice cream station, a truffle bar, and instead of a candy buffet, a cookie/brownie buffet for people to take home.

7. Maggie says:

Man, I can’t choose just one thing! I think I would have a selection of cakes (including cheesecake, carrot cake and tres leches cake), seasonally-appropriate pies, and some fancier desserts like tiramisu and creme brulee. I’d love to have a gelato stand too.

8. Katie says:

I’d still have the cake – 3 tiers – chocolate mud, citrus white mud and a swirled one – but in addition to that there’d be a selection of desserts. Chocolate mousse, my grandmother’s apple pie, lemon tarts, my chocolate chip cookies (because my friends love them), pecan pie for the boy, scones with jam and cream, my home made chocolate icecream, lemon sorbet, golden dumplings – in short, all my families favourites. With plenty of cream and vanilla ice cream to accompany it all. And I would place a ban on any of it being served with raspberry coulis, or passionfruit sauce or any other garnish totally unrelated to the dish!

9. Amber says:

I love cookies! Big, rich, decadent, soft, fresh, warm cookies. All kinds except the boring ones like sugar. And NO icing. If a cookie needs icing it’s not a good cookie! Oatmeal spice with currants and walnuts. White chocolate macadamia – with real cocoa butter based white chocolate, not that “premium white morsel” crap. Triple chocolate chip fudge. Coconut macaroons. Scottish caramel shortbread. And on and on…all hand made with the highest quality ingredients. I might have a pecan pie or two for the sweetie. Or those little pecan pie type cookies…hmm, those are really good. As it is, I’m getting a two or three tiered pumpkin spice cake with homemade cream cheese icing decorated with edible rice paper fall colored leaves. This is a very close second to the cookies…I do love pumpkin cake!

10. Elaine C. says:

Chocolate-covered strawberries are THE PERFECT DESSERT. Period. But since I love all kinds of people and they have all kinds of tastes (and I have a sweet tooth) I’d love to have a whole host of choices. Cheesecake. Brownies. Dessert breads (zucchini, banana nut, pumpkin…) Ice cream sundaes. Some really crazy groom’s cake. More fruits. *sigh*

11. KT says:

When my fiance suggested that a cake wasn’t important, I stared at him in horror! Next to my groom choice, cake is just about the second most important thing for me!

I LOVE cake. I HATE fondant. My perfect choice would be a three-tiered affair., each tier having 3 cake layers. One tier would be a perfectly moist and spongy white cake with lemon curd and blackberry mousse (or buttercream). In a nod to my fiance, the second tier would be a chocolate-hazelnut cake with raspberry buttercream and mocha mousse. The largest tier would be all mine: super-rich medium density chocolate cake, with rich chocolate mousse and cranberry buttercream. Each tier would be iced and then covered in dark chocolate ganache with colored chocolate decor.

12. Diane says:

Creme Brulee!!!!! Although i love all desserts so at my wedding we are having a dessert bar of cupcakes, mousse, donut, chocolate covered strawberries….unfortunately the creme brulee was too expensive 🙁