I tend to recommend spending a bit more (but not much more) for vintage costume jewelry that will at least be well made or, better yet, scrap the whole notion of buying something new and ask grandma or a great aunt for that special “something borrowed.” Shopping in one’s own closet can yield some surprisingly bridal results, though that depends on whether you have a tendency to amass jewelry.
Then again, it could turn out that no one in your family has good taste or an eye for fanciful things and maybe vintage jewelry just isn’t your bag. What is a girl to do? This is where I suggest taking a cue from Hollywood, spending even more money, and borrowing bridal jewelry usually reserved for those who exist in mountain-high tax brackets. Jewelry rental! Assuming you’re not famous enough to attract designers desperate for you to wear their necklaces, earrings, and bracelets, please read ‘borrow’ as ‘rent.’
That’s right, jewelry rental. The same way that brides can rent wedding dresses (though few actually do), brides can rent bridal jewelry… really nice bridal jewelry. Adorn Brides puts some seriously precious metals and gems into the hands of those who might otherwise be stuck pairing an el cheapo bridal jewelry set with a $1,000 wedding gown. How does jewelry rental work? It works like this:
1. Go shopping and pick out the pieces you love and add them to your “shopping bag.” Check their availability by entering your event date.
2. Check out using a credit card to order the jewelry for your event date.
3. Look amazing wearing the jewelry on your wedding day
- We will call you a few days before your event to confirm shipping information and review the details.
- Your jewelry will arrive 2 business days prior to your event.
- Best of all, the jewelry is insured while in your possession and the insurance is included in the rental price! (If the jewelry is not returned, we will charge a 33% deductible.)
- Please note that an amount equal to approximately 5% of the retail value of the jewelry will be reserved on your credit card while you have the jewelry as a temporary security deposit.
4. Send it back on the first business day after your event using packaging and pre-paid label Adorn provides for you.
- Simply drop it off at the closest UPS store.
- Once we receive the jewelry we will remove the security deposit.
Voila! Jewelry rental! Do note that even though renting a fine piece of jewelry will cost you a lot less than buying a fine piece of jewelry, bridal jewelry rental can still set you back a pretty penny. Think in the order of $1,000 for a complete set, and even then I’m not talking about a pair of huge champagne diamond earrings. In other words, jewelry rental is only a budget option if your wedding budget is fairly well-padded. Bridal jewelry rental is, however, an idea perfect for the diamondless bride dead set on wearing real diamonds on her wedding day.