The Boots Were Made For Walking

I personally am not an advocate of cowboy boots for everyday wear — unless one earns one’s bread ropin’ and ridin’ — but I have to admit that they do look rather cute on bridesmaids all lined up in a row. Finding shoes for the bridesmaid isn’t easy since you’re already asking three or ten or fourteen chicks to buy matching dresses and now you’re going to request they find matching shoes, too? Even shopping for shoes as a bridesmaid kind of sucks unless the bride specifically wants dyed strappy sandals or, better yet, doesn’t care what shoes you wear.

The only real issue with asking your bridesmaids to wear cowboy boots is that nice ones can be ridiculously expensive and some people simply cannot stand them at all ever. Of course, you could say that about pretty much everything even remotely associated with weddings.

bridesmaids in cowboy boots 3

So, cowboy boots for the bridesmaid… First off, cowboy boots do not have to superrustic. For real, they don’t.

bridesmaids in cowboy boots

But they can be if you want them to be and there’s nothing wrong with that. (via and via)

bridesmaids in cowboy boots 2

They’ll go with almost any bridesmaids dresses with hemlines that don’t kiss the floor — cowboy boots really only pair will with shorter bridesmaids dresses. (via and via)

bridesmaids in cowboy boots 4

They’re more fun than superfabulous, tis true. Then again, sometimes fun itself is superfab.

bridesmaids in cowboy boots 5

And yet, bridesmaids in cowboy boots can look quite dignified. Even more so when the bride herself wears them underneath her wedding gown…

bridesmaids in cowboy boots 6

(via)

6 Responses to “The Boots Were Made For Walking”

1. La BellaDonna November 10, 2009 at 6:46 pm #

Oh, I am YAY in favor of wearing boots to weddings, including cowboy boots!

I have a few pair, I admit. A pair of Acme boots in that orange-yellow they like; a red pair; a green pair; I think there’s a black pair somewhere. But if I were a bride in a pair of cowboy boots, I would totally cough up for a pair in white leather and lace, which I have seen on a number of web sites.

And HEY there, Ms. NtB! I wear longer skirts than that with my boots, and they look just FINE, thenkyewverymuch!

2. La BellaDonna November 10, 2009 at 6:47 pm #

Disclaimer: The named boots above are the COWBOY boots I own. I don’t want all the other boots at home thinking I’m discriminating against them.

… And yes, I have a pair of evening boots: they have teeny low narrow heels, they’re black velvet, embroidered with gold sequins.

I Luuuurve my boots!

3. Never teh Bride November 11, 2009 at 11:43 am #

Then you’re the best person to ask, La BellaDonna: What’s the best hem length for cowboy boots? I envision it looking kind of off when the top of the boot and the hem of the skirt are too close, but I’m willing to admit I’m wrong!

4. La BellaDonna November 11, 2009 at 1:23 pm #

NtB, I’m actually the WORST person to ask! My usual opinion is “You should wear the dress length you like!” and/or “It depends on how long the dress you have and love IS!”

… OK. Disclaimers aside, I do tend, generally, to agree with you: I think it can look off if the proportions are wrong, but the right proportions depend a lot on the dress itself: is the skirt narrow? Is it a full skirt? Are you wearing tights for the in-between bits? Do they match the boots? The dress? Contrast with everything?

I think, for instance, that the bridesmaids in the sand-coloured dresses (a colour that would normally not catch my eye) in the second picture look really great; I think the proportions in the first picture don’t look quite as balanced – but I love the bright dresses, the fact that the boots each bridesmaid wears is in the same colour family as her dress, and their diverse bouquets.

Given a choice, I’d wear a skirt that comes a hand’s-breadth below the top of my boots – or a skirt that’s a couple of inches above my knees, with dark tights. That said – today I’m wearing a mid-calf length dress that ends a hand’s-breadth ABOVE my boots (which look like motorcycle boots) and black tights, because: that’s how long the dress is, and those are the boots that came to hand.

In the end, I think boots and their corresponding hem lengths are a lot like weddings: you might as well please yourself, regardless of everyone else’s opinions!

5. enygma November 11, 2009 at 8:37 pm #

That is a combo I never would have thought of but it’s really cute.

6. toronto photographer November 14, 2009 at 11:44 am #

that is different! looks bulky but its so unique. congrats to be original!