A Stationery Suite to Die For

One of the benefits of writing this blog is that I get to highlight awesome, well, everything. And sometimes, that means I get to showcase the weddings or wedding gear of friends or family. In today’s post, I wanted to give you a taste of the super drool-worthy wedding stationery suite put together by an old friend of mine, S.R., and his now wife, M.S.R. I would have bet my left pinky that their invitations and so on were professionally designed, but nope! Everything you see here was the product of DIY amazingness.

DIY save-the-date

Their absolutely gorgeous save-the-date!

DIY wedding invitations

The lovely invitation, which had further info on the reverse.

DIY RSVP

And the RSVP cards, which frankly crack me up because I can see people getting just a touch confused over whether they ought to be huzzahing or dashing it all.

S.R. and his bride also created a ‘contents of tables’ seating chart, a coordinating menu card, ceremony programs, and matching thank you cards. Their wedding was appropriately bookish when it came to decor, as you can clearly see in their reception table centerpieces… which were also DIY.

table setting 1

table setting 2

Big congrats to the happy pair, who I hope will continue doing crafty things like this in the future since they obviously have a knack for it!

12 Responses to “A Stationery Suite to Die For”

1. Victor says:

The theme is fabulous, though I do wonder about the image of a stormy sea on the STD.

2. Dynamite Weddings says:

These are great!

3. La Petite Acadienne says:

How can you not adore a couple who uses the word “huzzah” in their wedding stationery?

4. Melissa B. says:

Victor, if it helps, the image is (I believe) based on the frontispiece for Francis Bacon’s “Instauratio Magna,” which contained the famous essay “Novum Organon” — the image of the ship passing through the mythical pillars of Hercules is meant to symbolize exploration and discovery. Which is a great way to think of a marriage — passing into the unknown and taking an exciting voyage!

Love this wedding, NtB. Thanks so much for sharing!

Fantastic stuff! Though the former bookseller in me longs to go straighten out the pages of the books in the centerpieces. It’s this thing I have. I worked for three months in a fabric store more than 25 years ago, and whenever I see a bolt of fabric, the first thing I want to do is straighten it.

Moving on.

While I do believe Melissa B. is correct in her interpretation of the Save the Date imagery, Victor does bring up an important point: if you’re doing this stuff, be thoughtful of the imagery.

My brother the Medieval Historian was once engaged to a lady (though in the end, the marriage never happened which is a whole different story) who wanted to design the invitations herself. Fine and good. We believe in crafty in my family. Unfortunately, when she showed the Victorian image she wanted to work from to my brother, he told her no way, no how, absolutely not, never in a million, gazillion years.

She couldn’t understand what was wrong. There was this pretty urn and this really, really great weeping willow, and it was a fabulous image. I’m betting there are at least two or three of you already hitting your heads against your desks, but for the rest of the class I’m just going to come out and say what that signifies. It’s a mourning thing. She’d chosen a Victorian death announcement as the basis for her wedding invitation.

When my brother explained the significance, she said nobody would notice. My brother patiently explained that he had a grandmother and great aunt who were both born before the Victorian age came to an end and a sister who had been researching Victorian mourning traditions in her spare time and about half the guests on his side were going to be history geeks, many with advanced degrees in the subject. Some of them specialized in the nineteenth century. All of them were going to darn well notice.

It pays to think about these things.

But the chance to say ‘yea’ or ‘nay’ and ‘huzzah!’ to a wedding? I’m so there!

6. Anna says:

I love everything, but especially the centerpieces, with the artistic folding of pages and page flowers!

7. Agree Twistie! I was a rare bookseller for years, and gasp when I see a book open and laying flat on a table, so fanning the pages like that disturbs me. Could be a “junk book” — but the other books on the table look like expensive bindings. One looks like a fine press book circa 1890 – 1920 (thick boards). As long as rare books are protected, go for it! We used to scan the art from amazing books for our invitations and catalogues all them time. But, very carefully!

Re doing it right: Black borders on wedding stationery are really trendy right now — which also meant mourning during the Victorian era through to the 1950’s. (Mourning stationery)

The “Altered Book” movement is trendy with weddings right now. Books are gouged out and used as boxes for the invitation. Books from the 1920’s are
    especially favored. Yikes!!

8. enygma says:

The invitations are gorgeous and so are the centerpieces. However, the bibliophile and future librarian in me is shuddering at the thought of books being torn up.

9. Maggie and Seth says:

Hey all! Thanks so much for the compliments. Just to assure the concerned parties–no books were harmed in the making of this wedding! Well, no readable or valuable books, anyway. We purchased all of them for one or two dollars each, none of them were rare editions, and those we folded up were, well, conditionally not suited for anything else. All the good-looking items were gifts to our guests. We’re bibliophiles too–we wouldn’t harm a fly-leaf!

10. Victor says:

Thank you, Melissa and Twistie, for the explanations. It’s possible Maggie and Seth also have the geek gene in their families and the guests were all, like, “Whoa! Way cool idea, guys!” but I (who likes to read but hasn’t read Bacon, unless you’re of the school he was responsible for Shakespeare’s plays) certainly didn’t get it.

11. Seth's mom says:

You have no idea about the size of the geek gene!

12. Annaleah says:

I just love their wedding stationary. It is so cute! I’m jeeeaaaaallloooooussss!