LOVE/HATE: The ‘Macramé’ Edition

Background: Macramé is a form of textile-making that uses knotting instead of weaving or knitting to make… stuff. In the 1970s, people were making decorative macramé owls, macramé toilet paper cozies, and even stuff like this. Yes, yes, I know macrame lace is a different animal, not at all like your gram’s owl with the knobby wooden eyeballs and the rough branch for a perch. But still. Shall we call this 1970s chic, perhaps?

Rosa Clara macrame

Rosa Clara macrame 3x

Rosa Clara macrame 2

I wish these Rosa Clara wedding dresses were shown in color – or at least with more contrast – so we could see some serious detail. As it is, I’m picturing not gram’s owl, but rather gram’s closet, with the exception of the last dress since gram didn’t so strapless. Still, I’m kind of loving the first one, but for the silhouette rather than the materials. It’d be sweet if I could get that wedding dress without the overlay, but with the short sleeves. I’m not feeling the other two, however, though I don’t know that I’d go as far as saying I hate them.

What say you?

9 Responses to “LOVE/HATE: The ‘Macramé’ Edition”

1. Jennie says:

LMAO over that link to the top!!! Most of these look more crochetted. I would want to see it closer before I pass judgement tho.

2. Elysabeth says:

On the one hand, I can see where these are lovely. On the other hand, I can only think about the macrame wall hangings my dad made and hung in our house in the 70s-80s.

I think I like the IDEA — the concept of it — but in practice, I would never. Macrame isn’t a substitute for lace.

3. Tiffany says:

I dig the silhouette in the first, but I hate macramé. Some things deserve to stay buried in the past, you know? Unfortunately, I think it’s the texture and weight of a macramé layer that makes that silhouette look so lovely.

If I were browsing wedding pics from the 70s, I think I could appreciate it. As for a modern bride? Only if she’s registering for avocado-colored appliances and lava lamps.

4. Gina says:

I will shamelessly admit to liking the last dress!

5. ChristianeF says:

I think I’m kind of in love with the second dress. It’s veeeerrrrryyyy vintage looking (and not in a way I usually enjoy), but it’s also very different. To be sure, no one else would have your dress if you wore one of those!

Number two looks sort of nightgowny to me for some reason. Number three I don’t trust to stay up, knowing both the weight and the way macrame moves.

Number one, though, I really like. There’s sort of an Audrey Hepburn air about it, probably enhanced by the hairstyle that looks like it stepped right out of the film of My Fair Lady. The one thing I don’t like about it is that sort of plate-like decoration on the bodice. The one thing I would say is it would require some hyper-modern styling to make it fully effective.

To sum up: neutral on the concept, judging the gowns on a case by case basis.

7. Crystal says:

I think they are absolutely gorgeous through you are right – probably best suited to a vintage style wedding.

8. Nariya says:

I love them! They’d look fabulous in a beach setting.

9. sheri says:

I thought I didn’t like these types of dresses. Then I tried on the third. I am hourglass and there’s no trouble with it staying up. It is a little heavy but not as much as some heavily beaded dresses. Everytime I tried on a different dress I just wanted to go back to the third. So, I bought it and I love it. It is very comfortable and flatering to my figure. Thank goodness I’m tall because I’m not sure how one would hem it. Wedding will be in a church. Reception at a winery. Groom will be in a silver cowboy hat at the reception. By the way the lace on this dress is called Battenburg lace.