LOVE/HATE: The ‘Gearhead’ Edition

I’ve known plenty of guys for whom their wedding rings were the first piece of jewelry they ever really wore. For most, the option that appealed was the least ornamented one, i.e., the plain gold band or silver band or tungsten wedding band or stainless steel band. You get the picture. No diamonds. No engraving or fancy scrolling whatever. While there’s nothing wrong with that – I myself, wear a plain gold wedding ring these days – it can be a little meh. With that in mind, let me present to you a wedding ring you can play with.

gear ring groom wedding

Like, for example, the Gear Ring from Kinekt. Designed by Ben Hopson and Glen Liberman, it’s made of matte stainless steel, so hautement manly! And it features micro-precision gears that turn in unison when the outer rims are spun, so it gives the wearer something to do on buses and during boring phone calls and while trapped in waiting rooms. Of course, it could be just as fun on the right woman as women’s and men’s ring sizes aren’t like shoe sizes, meaning a 5 is a 5 and a 12 is a 12.

I love it. I wouldn’t wear it myself, but I love it. I don’t know what kind of care it would need to keep it turning smoothly for a lifetime, but I still love it. It’s different and maybe a good choice for the gearhead gal or guy who isn’t all that thrilled with the idea of something dripping with diamonds or polished to perfection. Maybe it would get a little grungy after a while, and that could be okay, too. What say you?

11 Responses to “LOVE/HATE: The ‘Gearhead’ Edition”

1. Nancy June 10, 2010 at 7:27 am #

this is great! love it!

2. Emi!y June 10, 2010 at 10:02 am #

I love this ring, but I know I could never wear it! I’m a fidgeter. My husband would probably murder me in a fit of rage over the constant clicking and ticking.

3. Twistie June 10, 2010 at 12:31 pm #

WANT!!! LOVE!!!

Not for everybody, no, but definitely for me. Now if I just had an open finger….

4. Lizz June 10, 2010 at 2:19 pm #

Amazing! Wish it was in our budget. Maybe for an anniversary.

5. sterlingspider June 10, 2010 at 5:12 pm #

I totally just sent this to my F-SIL :)

6. ChristianeF June 10, 2010 at 8:20 pm #

Love! It’s such a cool design.

7. Kimberly June 10, 2010 at 10:50 pm #

I like it a lot. I was looking for a unique ring and was considering getting the XOE ring which spins but in a very different way but it can be engraved in my husband’s handwriting from http://stores.jewelryninja.com/-strse-Wedding-cln-Wedding-Band-cln-XOE-Collection/categories.bok but I do really like this gear one too!

8. SusanC June 11, 2010 at 11:41 am #

I’m definitely charmed by it, though I wouldn’t wear it myself. I like it much better than those engagement rings in fashion a few years back where the solitare/central gemstone arrangement was on a track and would swing to and fro with any hand movement. That would drive me nukking futz!

9. Indian wedding planners June 14, 2010 at 7:31 am #

Can go with a particular theme of the wedding or a specific business or a lifestyle that the groom might have. Definitely something very creative, but not for all.

10. Rylee June 14, 2010 at 3:41 pm #

this is great! love it!

11. Lindsay July 1, 2010 at 4:14 pm #

this i like. i know for a fact that most of my male friends would adore it. it’s very steampunk and that’s WAY in right now. also it may be a little more unique than the traditional gold band. reminds me of the sort of think they’d sell at an anime or sci-fi convention XD