Too Far From Tradition?

Leave it to the Japanese to host the first ever wedding ceremony officiated by a robot. Specifically the I-Fairy, a 4-foot-tall mechanical individual whose day job is ushering museum visitors to and from exhibits. The bride in this most unusual wedding works for the company that produced the I-Fairy and wanted to use her nuptials as a forum in which to show people how our robotic overlords friends can slip seamlessly into our normal existence. “I always felt that robots would become more integrated into people’s everyday lives,” Satoko Inoue told reporters. “This cute robot is part of my company. I decided that I would love to have it at my ceremony.”

i-fairy_wedding

Sounds fine to me! But then you get comments like this:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH In a few weeks the husband will laugh and the silly bride will say: but I thought the marriage was legal! This is the silliest thing that I’ve ever seen! No offence! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! At least divorce won’t be a headache! LOL!

The same commenter had plenty of other exclamation-mark filled wisdoms to share – and they weren’t alone in that – but all of the less-than-friendly feedback basically boiled down to the same thing: *This wedding doesn’t look like what I’ve been brought up to think a wedding ought to look like, so it sucks.* And to me, that says that people think that weddings are moving too far away from tradition (putting aside for the moment that so much of what we think of as traditional has only been traditional for 50 or 100 or so years).

The way this sentiment is conveyed is usually nasty, but perhaps they have a point? Is there some value in the traditional and the traditionalesque that just eludes me? I’m personally all for letting people get married in space, in the nude, hanging from hooks, or whatever else floats the bride’s boat. But then again, I’ve always maintained that a city hall wedding in jeans with no party leaves a couple just as married as a grand $100,000 affair, so in my mind, pretty much anything that falls somewhere in between and doesn’t break any laws is okay in my book.

(FYI – Don’t forget to enter to win a sweet
little silk clutch from Nordstrom
!)

7 Responses to “Too Far From Tradition?”

1. Kayla says:

To me, there definitely is no such thing as too far from tradition. Traditions are made are forgotten by the droves as centuries go by. There’s nothing inherently good in them (or bad *most* of the time). That said, people just clung to them like nobody’s business because they’re comforting and are reminders of the time where they were first introduced to said traditions – like childhood. Deviations from them can be shocking (or offensive).

Those people’s comments are ridiculous and offensive, but understandable.

2. SusanC says:

Tradition may not be the only issue here. To me, this looks a bit like product placement, which isn’t what a wedding should be about. Maybe I’m just being a big old cynic and a stick in the mud, but I’d have found it cuter if the bride wasn’t financially connected with the company or actively trying to program a message to her guests. (It’s rather like weddings where the happy couple use their nuptuals as a venue to promote their favorite charity or social cause, if y’all remember that discussion.)

Of course, it’s the bride and groom’s perogative to do whatever they want, so long as it doesn’t endanger anyone, and I’d never publicly frown upon it, etc.

3. Gina says:

I say live and let live! Every couple should do whatever they want.

4. Rosanna says:

Tradition doesn’t sound like it’s the issue at stake here. It’s more something like groupthink 😉
    In some boards, you can see people defending tradition to the point of making dumb comments like the one you cited. In other boards (the “alternative” ones), the comments against tradition are equally dumb, just in another way.
    The whole wedding industry (from planners, to families, to brides) is in search of some “norm” to enforce on whoever happens to think with their head (shame on them AHAHAH). The “sin” is NOT that one is a traditional bride vs an unbride… the sin is to have definite opinions 🙂
    Brides (and unbrides) are supposed to either trash their brains in favor of traditions or trash their brains in favor of trends, fads and stuff like that. Brides (and unbrides) who have an opinion – and often more than one – are quickly labelled as Bridezillas… with all the shame connected to it.
    People often forget that 1) it’s ok to have definite ideas of what one wants (be it traditional or off-beat) 2) it’s ok to want to pay for a service and have THAT service (NOT another one!!!) delivered and 3) it’s ok to think with one’s head (no matter WHAT is in your head).
    It’s the pressure to conform that kills people’s brains.

Does the use of a robot invalidate the marriage legally? Does it hurt anyone? If the answer to these two questions is no, then it’s up to the happy couple.

Me? I prefer the human touch. Robot officiants are not for me.

6. BunnyBlue says:

I seems to be something that was very important to the bride to include. I think every couple has the right to have THEIR wedding how ever THEY choose . Not every wedding will be just like your and people will do things you think are tacky or in bad taste. But in the end it is about them not you , if you don’t like it don’t do it at your wedding , but I don’t think it’s fair to judge.

7. There’s one life and for most, only one wedding. So why not live the dream and enjoy the day and the moment as you have always thought.