LOVE/HATE: The ‘Little Bit of This, Little Bit of That’ Edition

Ever look at a wedding dress and think that there’s just too much going on? I have to give all of the wedding dress designers props because every day I see so many gorgeous gowns that I can’t get enough of – but everyone has their off days. Now and then I encounter some weirdness like giant bows sewn onto bosoms, ripped hems, and my absolute favorite horrorfrock, the frankendress! I’d venture to suggest that this Vera Wang number falls into that category.

Let’s make a list… We have an asymmetrical neckline, one off-the-shoulder sleeve, two ribbons that look like gum paste cake decorations, a layered dual-level overskirt, a half bow in the back, and a smooth underskirt. There’s just a lot happening here. Check the back:

Generally, I adore Vera Wang wedding dresses (though her wedding extras, not so much) but this gown is just not doing anything for me AT ALL. Hate. I like certain independent elements, but I’d like to see them all on separate wedding dresses.

How about you? Do you, like me, lean toward simple wedding gowns, or does this dress have appeal?

7 Responses to “LOVE/HATE: The ‘Little Bit of This, Little Bit of That’ Edition”

1. Melissa B. October 7, 2010 at 3:25 pm #

Wow. I can only quote Tim Gunn: “That’s a whole lotta look.”

2. Christa Terry October 7, 2010 at 4:06 pm #

Leave it to Tim Gunn to know exactly what to say!

3. Cassie October 8, 2010 at 12:14 pm #

My problem with it isn’t everything that’s happening – cause, hey, if that’s your thing, that’s your thing, and I won’t say no – but what bothers me is that it looks sloppy. If I want to look like I just got out of bed on my wedding day, I’ll buy a less expensive gown, and actually sleep in it.

And I just want to hitch up that off-the-shoulder sleeve. It’s driving me crazy!

4. Christa Terry October 9, 2010 at 10:21 pm #

@Cassie For real, the off-the-shoulder thing is driving me crazy, too.

5. Dynamite Weddings October 11, 2010 at 6:15 pm #

Dress overload!

6. Indian wedding planners October 16, 2010 at 4:08 am #

Looks like the poor bride will have to carry so much of weight.

7. bridal girl October 25, 2010 at 6:37 am #

I think you are right. Although, she is still Vera Wang. However, I do not see anyone wearing this type of dress since this is really an overload and so much burden to carry!