LOVE/HATE: The ‘Albino Asparagus’ Edition

When I first laid eyes on this amazing wedding cake from The Caketress, I’ll admit that white asparagus was the first thing that came to mind.

But after taking a closer look, I think I’m in love. I’m a huge fan of fondant-covered cakes because it’s such a versatile material to work with and The Beard even likes to eat it (many people don’t), but I think the idea of using rolled white chocolate as a cake covering is so fun and so clever. People will actually eat it! It looks interesting! And you’re definitely not going to see it at every wedding you attend!

So I love it all… this cake, the whole idea of using rolled chocolate this way, dipping things in gold, and, oh, white chocolate. I love that, too. How about you? Where do you fall in the fondant vs. chocolate non-debate?

13 Responses to “LOVE/HATE: The ‘Albino Asparagus’ Edition”

1. JRM says:

Oh, man. That is beautiful!

2. Indeedy, JRM. And I’m having a stressful day, so I pretty much want to pluck all of those chocolate straws off and run away with them to a dark corner.

3. SusanC says:

I absolutely love it. And fondant = Playdough.

4. momomom says:

I love the way the colors fade and blend. Gold and white is always pretty together.

No debate though…just individual tastes and the marrying couple win.

5. Melissa B. says:

LOVE all the way! Gorgeous and delectable.

6. @SusanC I’m inclined to agree, but I do know a few people who will happily eat fondant straight.

7. Toni says:

I must be in the minority of people who aren’t fans of white chocolate. I just too, I dunno… sweet for me. I’ll eat it, but I’ll choose regular chocolate every time, given the option.

8. @Toni I don’t know about that – I know a lot of people who don’t care for white chocolate. Even folks who are driven crazy by the fact that people call it chocolate! Personally, I loooooove it, but I will admit that its flavor (non-flavor?) isn’t for everyone.

9. Klee says:

White chocolate all the way. Tastes better, looks better.

10. blossom says:

I love chocolate but dark chocolate not white. So chocolate for me, and dont think i have ever tried fondant so i dont know on that one.

11. Indian wedding planners says:

I am sure this would be much more delicious than it actually looks. Simply beautiful.

Gorgeous and with a tasty covering? Color me a fan!

@blossom and Toni: I tend to prefer my chocolate darker, too, but will happily chomp down on white every once in a blue moon. If the cake underneath isn’t oversweet, I think white chocolate might just float my boat… but it’s definitely not for everyone. It’s not even for me the majority of the time.

Fondant is pretty and versatile, but I rarely find it tasty.

13. Fabrisse says:

Not a white chocolate fan at all. So I leave the “icing” behind on this cake. I know others scrape off my preferred frostings. *G*