You may have noticed that I haven’t given anything but the tiniest amount of coverage to the royal wedding. You’d think I’d be salivating about the royal wedding, reading all the speculation day and night, but surprisingly I’ve been rather ‘meh’ about the whole thing. I think it has something to do with the fact that, as a couple, I feel rather bad for Kate and William. Their wedding was a State event, not a personal one. Will they remember it forever, fondly? I do hope so. Is it the wedding Kate and William would have wanted under different circumstances? Who knows, but when most people imagine a fairytale wedding, their daydreams seldom involve hordes of people and hundreds of wedding guests invited out of obligation.

But enough of me, always the cynic. The one royal wedding detail that I really cared about? THE DRESS! I’ll admit to really looking forward to finally seeing Kate Middleton’s wedding dress, designed by Sarah Burton of Alexander McQueen, and I was not disappointed. She wore a long-sleeve lace, ivory, and satin wedding dress with a modest 8-foot train and a lace-edged veil paired with a tiara borrowed from her grandmother-in-law. Pics or it didn’t happen:

Congratulations are, of course, in order!

Beautiful!

A bit of a nod to *that* royal wedding dress (I think you know what I mean)

And in case you are under a rock and haven’t seen any of the coverage, here’s a taste of things:

(Oh, and hats. I definitely care about royal wedding guests’ hats, so look for a post about that in the near future!)

Images: Us Weekly; E!; NPR

13 Responses to “A Look At the Only Piece of the Royal Wedding I Care About: Kate Middleton’s Wedding Dress”

1. The Jananator April 29, 2011 at 9:24 am #

Her dress is fantastic! But in the first picture you can see how much weight she’s lost. You can see the bones in her chest, which you couldn’t always. She looks best with more meat on her bones!

2. Elysabeth April 29, 2011 at 10:17 am #

I woke up this morning, grabbed my iphone and searched pics. :)

3. Audrey April 29, 2011 at 10:22 am #

I am under a rock and haven’t seen any footage, but I like these photos of the dress. That dress is stunning. Much nicer than I expected, given the strict style guidelines she was probably under from her royal inlaws. I mean, at first I wanted to hate the lace at torso…but then I decided I loved it. Because it wasn’t TOO lace, if you know what I mean. And the rest of the dress wasn’t all obviously laced to hell, which subdues the lace overlay so that it’s a delicate detain without being a LACE STATEMENT.

4. Audrey April 29, 2011 at 10:23 am #

er..delicate detail. Where’s my royal breakfast tea?

5. Teresha@ Marlie and Me April 29, 2011 at 11:44 am #

She looked exquisite! Her gown was very similar to Grace kelly’s

6. Anne B. April 29, 2011 at 5:35 pm #

The dress was gorgeous (the word is inadequate but can’t think of a better at the moment) and I was so glad to see sleeves – it makes it look like a dress for an adult woman, and not for a prom queen.

But what IS it with Englishwomen and really weird hats? Princess Beatrice looked as though she had a small octopus sitting on her head.

7. Ravna May 1, 2011 at 2:26 am #

I may be a bit biased, or rather alot. But I think Crown Princess Victorias wedding gown looked lovelier. This gown is very lovely too but I preferred the style of our future Queen :)

8. Laura May 1, 2011 at 4:15 am #

Was I alone in thinking the bodice part got a tad pointy? And the train seemed rather unnecessary… meh it’s definitely not a gown I’m in love with.

9. The Jananator May 2, 2011 at 9:42 am #

I think the pointiness had a lot to do with the weight she’s lost, Laura. Maybe it wouldn’t have been so pointy if she’d filled the cups!

10. Kate May 2, 2011 at 10:52 am #

I had the same ambivalence about the wall-to-wall coverage of the wedding. I will fully admit to watching & loving the ability to watch, but i hope it really was what they wanted. As much as I’d love to see more pics from the reception (THAT dress was stunning, too) it’s their wedding and i hope they had a great time, and I’m willing to give them as much privacy as they can possibly have.

11. SarahDances May 2, 2011 at 2:03 pm #

@ Laura Really? You think getting married in front of millions upon millions of people, in Westminster Abbey, to a prince is not a train-worthy occasion? Do you really think it would have been appropriate not to have one?

Personally, I thought it was one of the better deployments of a train I’ve seen on a wedding dress. I mean, my goodness, if there’s a place for a cathedral-length train, I’d imagine it to be, you know, in an actual *cathedral.*

12. Wedding Invitations May 3, 2011 at 6:35 am #