Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something… Sentimental?

Grandma's gown turned into fabric roses for a bridal bouquet? Sentimentalicious!

Everyone is always saying blah blah it’s all about the bride blah blah. Almost everyone, anyway. And it’s not like the media is much help there when it comes to combating the idea that weddings turn women into self-absorbed harpies. But I know and you know that they don’t. In the six years I’ve been writing here, I have read many touching and beautiful comments from people planning weddings and thinking about just about everyone else before themselves. Which isn’t to say you can’t go too far in one direction or the other. Have the wedding you want, right, but keep in mind that weddings are typically family affairs. That way, everybody wins.

Some brides and grooms in thinking of others while planning weddings go above and beyond he’s vegan and she’ll need a wheelchair ramp and so on, and think of ways to incorporate the past into the weddings of the present. For some, that means a couple choosing a wedding theme based on the adventures they’ve had and the destinations they’ve visited. For other people, it might mean wearing mom’s wedding dress or carrying one’s late grandfather’s handkerchief during the ceremony. There are lots of sentimental touches that can make a wedding feel extra special, from memorial photo charms woven into a bouquet stem ribbon to having the groom’s initials embroidered into the lining of the bride’s dress to making a group vow renewal part of your wedding ceremony.

But that’s not all. There are probably an infinite number of sentimental touches that can be incorporated into a wedding. Me? I was the aforementioned handkerchief carrier. Now you tell us: What are YOU doing to make your wedding that much more special?

7 Responses to “Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something… Sentimental?”

1. Anne-Marie Smith July 21, 2011 at 9:12 am #

I loved this piece, I make heirloom bouquets and it is a lovely way to carry the past into the future. More and more brides are choosing this style of bouquet and wedding flowers because they can incorporate sentimental pieces, choose flowers that mean something to them that may not be in season and in some cases use fabrics, patterns and colours that produce something truly fantastical. Of course, the bouquet itself can then be a keepsake and become something old for the bride to pass on one day. If you have the time I would love you to take a peek at my website gallery and blog and give me some feedback. In the meantime, I shall follow you with interest, Anne-Marie :)

2. Laura July 21, 2011 at 9:43 am #

I will be sewing my own wedding dress, modelled on the dress I wore the night my SO and I got together. I also made that one myself, except that one was black and sadly no longer quite fits!

So yeah, a white halterneck chiffon floor length gown :D

3. Nicole | Wedding Flowers Co July 21, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

I’ve 3 sisters… and in our weddings we have all wore the earrings our mom wore during hers… oh I just feel nostalgic tears coming down…

4. Katie July 22, 2011 at 7:43 am #

We had the candle from my grandmother’s funeral on our altar. Mum made me a charm with fabric from my grandmother’s dress and my own. Our handfasting cord was a plait/braid of fabrics from my dress (white and blue) and his kilt. I wore on my right hand (as I do every day) my great-grandmother’s eternity ring, and great-great-aunt’s wedding ring. We had all our nieces and nephews in the bridal party, because I remember deperately wanting to be a flower girl at my aunt and uncle’s wedding (I found out as an adult that no one had told her that the nieces wanted to be involved!) We had photos from family weddings in our order of service (an idea I totally stole from a friend) And our wedding rings are made from the same twist of gold.

5. Elysabeth July 23, 2011 at 7:32 am #

I had a tiny rosette made of a piece of my baby blanket tucked into my bra. I also had my granny’s hanky and my mom’s shawl and purse.

6. Zee July 28, 2011 at 6:03 pm #

Our wedding was all about recognizing the important people in our lives. Instead of vases, we used my grandmother’s teapot collection to hold flowers for centerpieces. I re-corded damaged lace for my dress that matched the lace on my mother’s wedding dress- the same lace pattern was put on our wedding cake. The wedding cake also had blueberry filling to serve as a reminder of all the summers we spent picking blueberries in my grandmother’s backyard. I wore my mother’s veil down the aisle, as well as my other grandmother’s garter from the 1950s and a family pin that has been worn by every bride in the family for good luck in a lasting marriage. We also had Bells of Ireland in the arrangements to remember our engagement in Limerick, as well a handmade lace tablecloth and a pair of Waterford Champagne glasses for the toast that I picked up in Ireland when I was 16. Really, the wedding was all about the people and times that had brought us to that moment.

7. Christa Terry August 1, 2011 at 11:38 am #

That all sounds so lovely, Zee. Thank you for sharing!