LOVE/HATE: Diamond in the Rough

I’ve never been a fan of diamonds. When I read Anne of Green Gables for the first time at the tender age of ten, I knew I had met a kindred spirit when she talked about how disappointed she was the first time she saw a diamond and it wasn’t the brilliant purple of amethyst as she’d imagined. By the time I’d read my way far enough in the series for Anne to get engaged to Gilbert (Spoiler!), I was very much in favor of her choice of a pearl for an engagement ring.

When Mr. Twistie and I set the date, I did Anne one better and got a ring with no stone whatsoever. I love my sterling silver frog prince and wouldn’t exchange him for all the tea in China, let alone all the diamonds in South Africa. At least I do drink tea.

But there’s a trend in engagement rings that has very nearly turned my feelings about diamonds upside down: uncut diamonds.

This ring by Bario-Neal features a rough diamond flanked by a combination of yellow sapphires and citrine. Depending on the size of the diamond (.5 – 1.0ct) and choice of metal (yellow gold, rose gold, white gold, or platinum) it runs between $2,050 and $3,524.

I don’t know about you, but I LOVE this ring. I like the fact that there’s an understated elegance to the main stone, and, yes, I do have a bit of a thing for citrine. I like yellow. One of the things I’ve always liked least about diamonds is one of the things that everyone else seems to prize most about them: the aggressive sparkle. I’m not a sparkly person. In this case, the sparkle is mitigated and I’m delighted.

My silver frog is still very much my favorite engagement ring of all time, and in no danger even if Mr. Twistie could afford to spend two or three grand on something that doesn’t need replacing. All the same, if I were getting engaged today instead of back when I did… I might be tempted to look at this or something very like it. I’m not afraid of my jewelry looking dated someday, nor of standing out from a crowd. I’m not much exercised about traditions that were created mostly by companies that profit from the creation of the tradition. I just know what I like, and I like this a lot.

So what say you? LOVE it? HATE it? Something else? Tell me what you think!

6 Responses to “LOVE/HATE: Diamond in the Rough”

1. Jenn September 18, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

I clicked over here expecting to dislike this ring on site from the description, but I actually like it. Uncut diamonds don’t do much for me–I don’t mind “dull” stones like lapis being unfaceted, but I do prefer diamonds and sapphires and the like to have some polish and sparkle to them.

2. Katie September 20, 2012 at 7:12 am #

I quite like it, and not loving it has more to do with the yellow stones than the diamond. Still, not my style.
    I didn’t care for diamonds until I worked in a jewellers, and discovered the beautiful way they refract light into rainbows. They’re not the be all and end all though, and I’m quite happy with my sapphire engagement ring.

3. Debie September 20, 2012 at 9:26 am #

Very pretty ring! I work over at Diamond in the Rough, a NYC-based jeweler that specializes in only rough diamond jewelry. We are obviously big fans of this style ;)

4. Rings September 22, 2012 at 12:22 pm #

Love the unique engagement ring, so different and pretty. Doesnt look perfectly even but so unique and vintage looking

5. Qaphela September 24, 2012 at 10:54 am #

hello Twistie
    South Africa Does not have that many Diamonds, they have more precious metals, which are Gold and Platinum, the city of Johannesburg (Gauteng, in the native toungue)was named after the discovery of the abundant Gold in the country. the name “Gauteng” means where there is Gold. on the other hand Botswana, a small country just above south africa on the map, is where nearly 1 third of the world’s diamonds come from. a lot of the times people’s make this mistake because South Africa is the more popular country between the 2. the quality and quantity of the diamonds produced in Botswana is one of the reasons why the diamond cutting and polishing industry is moving from Brittain to Botswana by end of next year. Sorry to bore you with so much information which deviates from the point you were making. i hope this is useful
    cheers

6. Twistie September 24, 2012 at 11:14 am #

That’s not boring at all, Qaphela. I love learning new things.